electronic fuel injection system - Page 3 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

electronic fuel injection system

Featured Replies

  • Author

Thanks to all of you who've made suggestions and comments. I'm going to keep plugging away at it and will do some bodywork until I can get back to double checking the FI system. I appreciate your help. Ron

Are your AFM and your ECU matched (so to speak)? I only ask because a 79 and up ECU won't work properly with a 75-78 AFM and vice versa.

  • Author

Yes they are, Steve. And they're new from Victoria British (they match the old ones.) Thanks for your tip. It's always good to consider something that may not have been thought of before. Very much appreciate it. Ron

Ron,

Is your engine vacuum okay? I just recently noticed a pretty significant vacuum leakage in my 280 (See open discussion for details), and after remedying this, I noticed a significant difference in both power and idle.

I mean, I figure since you're still fishing for ideas...

  • Author

The vacuum is ok; I put a vacuum guage on it and it good (between 17 and 22 psi.) Thanks for that suggestion, though. It's always good to throw out things that may be the problem. I appeciate that.

Ron

  • 4 weeks later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Armed with persistance and "stick-to-it-ness" with a lot of patience thrown in, the problem in my fuel line was/is a blocked fuel line at the tank itself. I had the fuel tank cleaned out a while ago. It wasn't done very well so I asked the shop to do it again. I trusted (assumed?) they re-did, which now I know better and all this time the line has been getting blocked with corrosion and particles from the tank. And that's why I wasn't getting any pressure either.

Just a word of caution: when a shop tells you they did the job, double check their work if you are able. Don't assume the job was done to your standards or perfection, either. There are many trustworthy shops out there for jobs we can't do, but every once in a while you come across with a lousy one. I will most likely buy a new fuel tank and be done with the old one!

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

Ron

  • Author

PS ~ maybe this will help someone else out there who's having a similar problem and has torn apart everything looking for a fix that can't be seen.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.