Rust question... - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Rust question...

Featured Replies

I mentioned in another post that I used to have a 72 240Z many years ago, but I got rid of it when I needed a bigger car for my family. When I sold it, it had rust in the common places under the doors and I am just curious about this. I am not a mechanic, but now that I am thinking about eventually getting another one at some point, are those rust areas matters of structural integrity in Z's, or are they more cosmetic in nature? I guess I am just asking because I hope to find one with no rust, but in case I come across any that have this type of rust, is it easily repairable or more of an issue than that? Thanx,

-Mikey

Being a unibody almost any through rust affects structural strength.

  • Author

Yeah, that's what I thought-is there a proper way that they be repaired back to original strength, or are they never quite the same?

-Mikey

Cut out any perforation, weld in new panels, treat against rust and keep driving! Most rust prone areas have repairpanels available.

Will

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

And any good body man worth his salt can fab you replacements by working the metal to shape...unless you need like a whole fender or something.

Concentrate on the rails under the car, the hatch area and the floorpans...if you can't afford a full on restore job. The car might not look great by doing those first, but it'll be solid and you won't end up on the pavement.

If you wanna know how much rust can be repaired...try asking 26th-Z!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.