IGNORED

Instrument panel & other bits on eBay

aarc240

the one to get is the GTX-E version that comes already brushed metal

You're right of course.

If you don't have a GTX-E unit I found a way to get a good result, thanks to Alfadog starting it off.

First soften the plastic covering with paint stripper and peel off. Careful use of a hot air gun also works.

Wash the plain aluminium panel with warm (not hot) caustic soda and immediately rinse with lots of cold running water.

Wipe the panel end to end with either a coarse 'Scotchbrite' abrasive pad or 500 grit wet rub abrasive sheet making sure that at least the final wipe is one continuous motion from one end to the other.

Clear anodise the panel to seal it.

Comes out surprisingly well.

Not trying to highjack this thread but I figured I should post this listing I stumbled onto on ebay the other day, check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Nissan-SKYLINE-GT-2000-Ken-Mary_W0QQitemZ110011193545QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6392QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I dont know much about the older skylines but this seemed pretty cool to me.

we've seen that car before, but there seem to be no takers due to the rust

too bad, because in other countries (eg england and northern europe), the rust wouldn't daunt a competent body man

maybe because they're more used to dealing with it than we are?