Exhaust Manifold -- engine lift? - Page 3 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Exhaust Manifold -- engine lift?

Featured Replies

  • Author

I was prepared to go 2.25" (no resonator) based on feedback here, and if not for the shop's encouragement to go 2.5" (no resonator), which I had assumed would be louder, but I cannot imagine it being much quieter.

  • 3 weeks later...

Here's just a little handy hint, when putting the exhaust gasket on, grease both sides with a moly grease, this will stop it from sticking to the head or exhaust and destroying it the first time you take the pipes off!

As for pipe size I've been told by a well respected mentor that on N/A cars the exhaust works like a siphon. There is an ideal diameter where the air flowing out the exhaust helps pull the air behind it out. Too big and this won't happen.

On a near standard 6 cylinder car 2inch is plenty. 2 1/4 is normally cheap for mufflers etc, 2 1/2 sounds too big to me.

If you want to quieten it down put in a triple flow muffler. Don't use straight thru's.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.