IGNORED

auto-2manual

halz

I'm currently looking at a very clean, original 240z to buy. One problem - its an auto. Now, I'm fussy. Up until now I've not countenanced anything as traumatic as transmission conversion due to the impact it would have on a car's originality :finger: . However, original cars are very thin on the ground... so I have a few questions:

1. Does the 240Z compliance plate indicate which transmission it was originally built with? If so, what do I look for?

2. Does an auto-2manual swap involve any irreversible work - eg. cutting the floor-pan?

If I can be convinced that this operation will not significantly devalue an original-condition car, and that the swap can be competed to a factory-level of quality, then I may be able to live with myself :( . On the plus side, being an auto, the car has not had the thrashing during its life that many manuals have :classic:

I don't know if you have to cut any material off the trans tunnel but you will need to cut a hole in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder.

You will need a clutch peddle, smaller brake peddle, clutch master cylinder, hard lines for clutch, and clutch slave cylinder. Oh, and a manual transmission! What year is the car, because you may need to do some modifications if it is an early 240, or was that only for US spec. Just a few things off the top of my head.

Have fun!

Actually, I'm in the middle of doing just this conversion. I have a '73 and I'm installing a '76 4speed. You don't have to cut anything. The fire wall already has an opening for the clutch master cylinder - just take the plate off and mount the master cylinder. You will need the clutch and manual brake pedals. Clutch hydraulic lines (be careful with these). I would suggest a new master cylinder and slave cylinder. You will also need the flywheel that came with the manual tranny. Change out the pilot bushing while your doing this (it's right there). The drive shaft might be a different length so measure it. The distributor on an automatic car is also different - suggest grabbing it also from the doner car.

It's a big job - but not impossible. Don't know what the conversion will do to the value of the car. But what's the value to you in driving pleasure and availability of parts.

My 2 cents

Halz,

Sorry, I could not find the VIN# decoding information. I know I have it or have seen it somewhere on the web recently. I know the VIN# does not say much, other than coupe or 2+2 but cannot be sure if it has a different code for manual or automatic. If you provide the VIN# I could compare it since I have a '70, '71, '72, & '73 240 close by (not all mine!)

Also, the fact that your 240 is a '72 means that you will be able to fit the newer style trans (post-'71) in either 4-spd or 5-spd without having to worry about cutting the trans tunnel or console. That is assuming that Datsun used the same trans tunnel hole and console for the automatic and manual cars.

Have fun!

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. The changeover job is about what I'd expected and if I go ahead I'll be sure to have all parts on hand before starting.

I'm still curious about the VIN# coding and transmission type and will continue to do my homework on that one. If I find out, I'll post the info for the benefit of all.

Inerestingly, I looked at another 240 on the weekend... a very straight and honest car... shame about the colour, it is the Orange 918 and a bit faded. I'm going to scan the gallery pages to see if I can spot a car of the same colour but with a bit of polish..!