Fuel filter - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Fuel filter

Featured Replies

Is the fuel filter on an L24 engine supposed to be full when it is running? The reason I ask, mine is not. I'm wondering if I need to replace my fuel pump.

Thanks!

Mine never appears completely full and it runs fine. I'm sure this is probably normal. unless you;re having issue I wouldn't worry about it.

G'Day Eric,

You say the fuel filter is "Not Full".

Do you mean it's only half full, quarter full or empty prior to starting ???

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

  • Author

bout a 1/4. Guess I'll just replace it for now. They aren't that expensive.

bout a 1/4. Guess I'll just replace it for now. They aren't that expensive.

I would simply remove the filter from the clip while the car is idling and move it around to see if you can get the air bubble to pass on through. If the filter is clogged then your car won't run.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I believe 1/4 full is correct, assuming you have a carborated Z. Remember, carbs run on low fuel pressure, so the filter does not fill up completely.

With mine, the filter is around three quarters full prior to starting and gives no trouble at all.

Previously, The car was a little hard to start. The filter would be less than a quarter full before starting. When I removed the old filter I found that the inlet hose had a slight crack in it. As the filter was not blocked, I SUSPECT that the slight crack in the hose was allowing air into the system, resulting in the fuel draining out.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.