IGNORED

How many 1978 280z 2+2 were made

Jeff Bolin

Not nearly as many 280Z coupes. The 2+2 didn't sell well here in the US.

However, the 260Z sold in the UK until 1980, and the 2+2 was preferred.

I've got an old book called "Z-car: A legend in its own time" or something like that at work. It covers Zs from 1970 to the release of the final style 300ZX. It has detailed production numbers for each year if I recall correctly. Unfortunately the book is at the office, and I won't be back for several more days, but I'll give it a look when I go in and see what it says.

Not nearly as many 280Z coupes. The 2+2 didn't sell well here in the US.

However, the 260Z sold in the UK until 1980, and the 2+2 was preferred.

I've got an old book called "Z-car: A legend in its own time" or something like that at work. It covers Zs from 1970 to the release of the final style 300ZX. It has detailed production numbers for each year if I recall correctly. Unfortunately the book is at the office, and I won't be back for several more days, but I'll give it a look when I go in and see what it says.

thanks I am just curious abiout the numbers. I was told that the total production for a specific year of Z cars only ten percent were 2+2 can you confirm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This link may help. http://www.300zx.cl/ga/300zx/images/serial%20number%20Datsun%20Z%20Car.htm

I've got a '78 280z 2+2 as well. These are pretty rare cars.

Oh, I don't know. According to that chart there were roughly 15000 78 2+2's made. In the four year run there were about 125000 280Z 2+2's made. Doesn't really sound that rare to me though the numbers are less than half of the number of two seaters according to the link. Now, in comparison, there were less than 4800 810 2dr. hardtops made and while that might make it 'rare' in that not many were made, it doesn't necessarily make it overly valuable. I don't really know how accurate the numbers in that link are but don't let the lower production numbers fool you. 2+2's didn't go over as well as expected, nor did 810's for that matter.

It' always very conjectoral as to how many where made and for which market.

None in Australia, but then we got the leftover's, 280Z body and 260 engine complete with those wonderful carbies i have always defended...LOL....

FWIW. those 280/260 zeds in Aussie are getting extremely rare, most have been junked or stripped down for parts, as to how many are left in other markets...????