frt. Tire Hits frame rail - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

frt. Tire Hits frame rail

Featured Replies

The front tire on my 280Z hits the frame rail when I turn it all the way right. The body shop guy said to just grind the flange of the frame rail so the tire isn't hitting.

Are there any alternatives? I was thinking about putting a clamping stop thing on the steering rack to limit the movement. Something like a hose clamp.

thx

Out of curiousity, other than a wreck, is the rack centered properly? It seems that the limit is built in here. If the rack is off center then the tire could contact before you ran out of rack. Is it a stock wheel/tire or aftermarket with inadequate offset?

With the correct offset/width wheel and tires that are not too wide you certainly have something wrong with the steering components or the suspinsion components or something else. I would not start cutting the frame, find the problem and fix it properly. I would also look for a different body shop guy, if he is too lazy to tell you to fix it right then he is too lazy to do the rest of the work too, I would not trust him.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.