IGNORED

240Z rear bumper center?

pparaska

I hope I put this in the correct forum.

My Z was rear ended and I need a straight rear center section. It will be dechromed, and modified on the ends like the one on the car now. But I need a straight center section (preferably 73) for the body shop to work with.

It seems like these aren't available new any longer. Is that true?

Anyone have leads on a straight used one for a 73?

Thanks,

i have a rear center piece available that is at it's best "workable". i will sell for $100.00 plus shipping. some would say it is not worth trying and others would say it's a good buy. i will provide pictures if you are interested.

cdavid

Everyone, thank you for the replies. I didn't see that MSA was now offering these. I realize 300 is alot for this thin piece of metal, but compared to having the body shop straighten a bent one, I bet the new one will end up being cheaper. Besides, the insurance of the guy that rear ended my Z is paying anyway. Too bad the chrome will get ground off to get it painted !

Then strike a deal with someone near you who needs / wants a NEW bumper but is unwilling to pay the $300, whereas you will be, admittedly, mutilating it. (Sorry for the harsh tone.)

I'd be willing to bet that someone would easily split the cost of a new one with you, AND give you their old "chrome not perfect but otherwise PERFECTLY dent and bend free" bumper! That way you'd get what you want - - a paintable bumper center, and the person who didn't want to pay full price would get to upgrade his bumper from a 10 footer to a perfect 2 footer for an exchange and a couple of bucks. That would be a WIN-WIN scenario for both of you. Heck, you might even get off easier since the older original chrome on the bumper wasn't as thick as the newer aftermarket ones might be and therefore your stripping cost / delay would be less.

But to otherwise take a new bumper and destroy it .... intentionally.....~~SHUDDDER~~~

Enrique

It's just a piece of metal. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about having a brand new one dechromed or the $300 for it. I have more than that much labor in the bumper reinforcement behind the bumper. It's all relative, I guess.

If someone near me has a straight but slightly rusty bumper, I'll pay $150 for it, and that way the new owner can get a new one for the cost of the new one ($300) plus shipping, minus the $150.