IGNORED

control unit

chevzee2

1975 280Z - could use some advice on how the control unit (fuel injection brain) hooks up...??? There are two white wires with female butt connectors coming out of it that are not connected to anything. It will start and idle, but accelerating makes it run like it's getting lots of air, but no fuel. Four of the injectors seem to be working, but two don't. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thank You!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar problem. I have a 73 240 with an 82 L28E motor. When I had the 82 280zx someone hit me and totalled that car but luckily my motor was complety intact. I put it in my 240 and if i dump gasoline into the intake it will startup and run fine but the injectors do not want to spit. If i press the pedal id does nothing and I know the fuel pump and lines are working because I took the lines apart and connected the fuel pump to an electrical source and it shot an 8 foot stream of gas out of the line. But something is making the injectors not spit. I changed the computer (Brand New ECU) but the damn thing still doesnt want to spit. I have no idea now. I've tried everything I know. Any help would be much appreciated. I might end up getting carbs or rewiring the entire car but I really don't want to rewire it. Thanks for help in advance.

Glad to know it's not just me. Sounds exactly like what mine does - fuel pump and lines work just fine, but beyond that... still haven't figured out the answer yet, but will let you know as soon as I make some progress. I'd appreciate any info you might get, too! Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it helps, but another z-person suggested their might be rust in the gas tank if it has been sitting for a long time. The suggestion was to remove the tank and inspect it. If this was the case, have it etched and coated. Thought I'd pass on the info.

• 4 weeks later...

you might have seen me post about the rust in the tank. WEll don't start rewiring your cars just yet. my normal course of action was normally to start at the injection. Clogged injectors are common and it is easy to check to see which ones are the problem. I always would start the car and let it idle. While the car is idling I would one by one pull off the plugs on the injector and listen for a drop in idle. Replace the plug and the idle should pick up again. if a cylindar did not the idle and makes no change at all there is your dead cylindar. Do the same for the cold start valve as well. If that is stuck open, your basically flooding the car.

The fuel pressure regulator on top of the fuel rail is a huge culprit in poor performance. While your carburated car may only need 3-5 PSI to run, your injected car needs about 30. I would always have multiples of these laying around as with the crap that was in my tank ate them up.

what are your plugs telling you is wrong with the car? they can tell you whether the mixture is too rich, to lean, timing too far advanced etc...

I would need to know what you have already checked as this response could be rather lengthy