IGNORED

Fuel injector Prob. 77 280z

jagnew3

I hear you Stephen, I thought for sure the volume was good, and it seems to be..if the tank is all the way up. You should have seen the release of pressure when I opened the fuel cap, after pumpung 5 gal into about 4.5 gal worth of space...you would think that working around boats all these years I'd be a little more sensitive to the exploding nature of fuel vapor. I drained the tank last night, and will drop it Sat. Do you think there is a chance for damage to the pick up, or more of a crud/ rust problem? I hear about "boiling" the tank..what all do the radiator shops do during this process? Should this boiling take care of any crud that might be in there? So many questions for such a tiny tiny brain.

Tanks can be cleaned out and resealed. I chose a used tank because my freind who has a Z repair shop had a known working one in a recently wrecked car at his shop and sold it to me for less than the cost of cleaning one out. That was nine years ago and I've not had a problem since. Check with a shop. They can tell you what's involved in the procedure.

Okay here's the tank inside

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/jagnew3/Z%20page/DVC00009.jpg

And here is what 2 cans of sea foam sloshed around in there, then drained look like

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/jagnew3/Z%20page/DVC00013.jpg

And here is something, I want to state in advance is a bad idea..and stress should never be done should never be done...but I did it, after a long out of car test session.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/jagnew3/Z%20page/DVC00008.jpg

ran the car three hours today on that and there was no fuel related problem during that time..car ran awesome..again, don't try this..ever.

ROG...some folks will do anything to make something run! (including me) he only thing I really shoud have changed was running a vent line to the outside, the tank tends to swell after a bit..maybe that will be my next trick..LOL

Hello Stephen...missed you..the tank is out being boiled, and while it was I spent my time bidding on one on ebay..as back up. The guy I was bidding aginst seemed to need it worse then me so I let it go in the last hour, He got it for $180+ shipping. My tank redo is costing about $125, so there was really no point to continue with the auction. I got my final title work and plate registration done this week, and so, I'm waiting for the tank to be returned, and then I will do some long road testing. I qualified for the Indiana antique plate( extra $30 and a Indiana State Police inspection to cert. that the car is operational), but in the end didn't want to brand the Z an antique just yet..LOL How do you like my fuel cell? I really wanted to run a bunch of fuel through the system, and thought it was the best way to do it as I waited on my tank. (not intended for hyway use) I have since added a vent line to keep the tank from building pressure.

...I qualified for the Indiana antique plate( extra $30 and a Indiana State Police inspection to cert. that the car is operational), but in the end didn't want to brand the Z an antique just yet...

I assume that the State Police inspection was to get the antique plate. I assume that because my Z has been plated for 3 1/2 years now, and as never been operational. LOL

Indiana is one of those states where as long as you pay the road use taxes they just don't care...

I am in the final lap of making my car street worthy. With any luck I will actually be driving before I get to 4 years...

ah, What a great day! Got the tank back thurs. It was bare metal inside and out. Coated the inside thursday night. The outside friday night. And mounted it, and test drove it today. What a rush! Thanks again for all the help. It's been a long road. The cost of the tank boiling, inside coating, and outside coating $ 140...worth every penny.