IGNORED

An urgent game ... what clutch is that?

Alfadog

Let's play... What clutch is that!

This is the clutch that came out of my parts car. It is a larger overall diameter and thicker than the standard 240K clutch... so my question is, what is it!?

At Repco they now have 2 clutches we think could be right. They're so damn similar though... a S14 200SX Silvia clutch and a 280ZX clutch. Surely it's got to the the 280ZX clutch? However, it's a little bit different to this one. The biggest difference is the side - it's missing the bit I have circled in red. The 200SX clutch has this bit though...

I just don't know. I would hate to get a clutch to find it not the right one at all and just waste $200 odd. I am leaning towards the 280ZX purely because it would make more sense. I have also included a picture of the number on the gearbox if that helps - dont think so.

post-1243-14150796639624_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150796639908_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150796640285_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150796640559_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150796640827_thumb.jpg

Cool, thanks Victor and Michael. Can anyone shed light on the small part I circled and what its purpose is? And why the new one doesn't have it?

Also, since this car WAS running and changed gears fine, can I assume the flywheel and t/o bearings have already been changed to suit the clutch?

Flywheel, throwout bearing carrier and complete gearbox are coming as a matched set from the donor car, meaning the whole assembly was working together beforehand.

As long as the new replacement clutch assembly is the same diameter and height as the one that came out, all should be sweet. I'd ask for specs on the 2 clutches, and use whichever is the heavier clamping force (assuming that the 200SX one bolts up to the flywheel).

The clutch and throwout bearing that came out both looked to be in pretty good condition. Still, best to replace them both for peace of mind.

Lachlan - for a bit more expertise on all things 240K, give Dave or Nikki a call on 07 5441 6411. They own a auto spares shop, and rally a very fast 240K, so can give you some good advice. Otherwise, call Stewart Wilkins at SSS in Sydney. What he doesn't know about Datsuns hasn't been discovered yet.