IGNORED

Transplant Advice

Nigel Mulvey

As many of you know I had a bit of a mishap with my 260 2+2 a week or so ago and the shell is now beyond economical repair. I had thought about buying a replacement 1974 2+2 shell and swaping all the parts over - dead easy. However, I have found a 260 shell for sale (not a 2+2) and I was wondering about what parts I could swap over to that. I would have thought that the only thing that I would not be able to use would be the prop shaft which would be longer on the 2+2.

Does anyone know of any other incompatibilities there might be?

You mentioned transplanting parts but didn't say which parts. Most of your interior parts should go over fine, obviously the back seat will not. Motor and transmission will go over fine as long as you do them together, the flywheel on a 2+2 is a bit more heavy duty (although this is a common 'upgrade', I even have a 2+2 flywheel on my 208Z), the flywheel must have all the other clutch equipment, pressureplate, etc that went with the 2+2. Wheels, brakes, taillights all go over fine. The doors might not fit, I have heard conflicting information on this and quite frankly have not cared enough to test it out for myself. The coupe will drive a little, stress little, different than the 2+2 did, but you'll like it. If you can keep the shell of tyhe 2+2 for parts, I would recommend it.

Thanks for the response. Keeping the 2+2 as a parts car is my intention. I was going to try and find another 2+2 shell and swap everything over (except the bits that got damaged in the prang). If I can swap most of the parts from a 2+2 to a 2 seater though I increase my options for sourcing a recipient shell. Hence my question.