IGNORED

Re-tapping receiver plate inside door jamb

BadDog

Here is a picture of the door latch adjusting plate with the quarter panel cut out.

I still believe that you can get lock nuts on those bolts after taking this picture. Will take some time and a couple of tries but, I think time still well spent.

post-1188-14150797160094_thumb.jpg

Jim,

On my '73, there's a piece of metal that partially blocks my attempts to add extra nuts onto the end of the bolts. I don't see it in your picture. That's a pic of the passenger side, correct?

-Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On that captive plate, can it be easily removed once an access hole is made from behind the dogleg? Or did they spot weld that angled plate in there

so it stays in place? My top bolt on my latch stripped the other day, and I was thinking I'd weld a nut in place.

Dave

There are three spot welds that hold the bracket in place see the picture in post # 37. I don't see why you could not open up the dog leg panel tack the nut in place and weld the panel back up. You may need to replace the metal with a new piece and then refininsh the repair and put the dog leg back in place.

• 3 months later...

I've just struck what I believed to be the same problem, however while the symptoms are identical the fix is different. For those that think that the thread is stripped in the capitive nuts read on....

After re-reading this thread, I had come to the conclusion that I was in deep poo and the only way would be to use the above methods to mount a captive nut on the adjusting plate.

So, I removed one bolt so I could match it up with a nut, surprisingly on inspection the bolt had actually stripped the thread high up near the top.

The fix was to obtain a couple of metric bolts, grind the end to a taper.

Nissan no longer hold the bolt in stock (in Aus.)

• 6 years later...

Hate to bump an old thread but this was a real pain for me as well...mine was stripped on the driver's side top. I pulled all the original (and recently plated) bolts and discovered a) I could reach the back of the top hole via the 1" access hole after removing the dogleg interior panel and B) that one bolt was longer than the other 2 so I simply used the longest bolt on the top, taped an appropriate nut onto my finger to get it threaded onto the bolt and had it all wrapped up 10 minutes later. I may pop the nut off and put some thread lock on it or something as there isn't enough thread to mount a second, I think at least....to snug it down I simply locked it with a flathead screw driver and it worked no problem.