IGNORED

Early / Late style fuel filler questions

7T1240

Beneath the lower right photo on page 31 of Wick Humble's How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car, the author states "Early and late fuel fillers differ in several details - later version was a definite improvement." On the following page, under the caption Fuel-Filler Top Flange, he states "Early Z-car plastic filler necks are prone to crack." Followed by "Late Zs had a two-piece filler with only the lower section made of plastic."

In searching Courtesy Nissan's parts, I found the filler neck depicted in the attached photo below. Courtesy's description: "1970 - 07/1974 - Fuel Filler Hose - 240Z, 260Z". This part, however, does not appear to be two piece.

So, my questions are these:

Do you agree with Mr. Humble's contentions, and, if so, where can I source the aforementioned "two-piece filler neck with only the lower section made of plastic?

Thanks,

Gary S.

post-9354-14150796537572_thumb.jpg

Even MSA only lists the 70-74 part, meaning that by "late Z" Wick probably was referring to the 280, although it would have been just as easy to say that.

I was under the impression that they were interchangeable thru all the model years, although that might not be the case. Anyone confirm?

If they are interchangeable, I see nothing wrong with using the plastic filler tube. It may be prone to cracking, but I'm willing to bet that Wick meant that it's prone to cracking after 15 or 20 years, like all plastic. Exposure to radical temp differences would speed the process.

I'll check a few other places and see if I can find a different part, I'll post when I'm done.

EDIT: Well, Baddog doesn't have any right now, and Zeddfindings lists only the 70-74. Zparts has plastic tubes for all models. They look VERY different so I guess they aren't interchangeable. Learn something new everyday with these cars.

Personally, I'd take a new plastic tube over an old metal one, and certainly over a leaky OEM one.

post-9429-14150796537655_thumb.jpg

Notice there a flanges on both ends of the early ones. The top one is in the filler box and the bottom one is under the quarter panel aft of the right rear wheel puts both outside of the car. So, if it isnt cracked do not mess with it. You must heat the upper end to reshape it enough to get it through the hole in the filler neck box. Go to page 171 of Wick Humble's book and you will read these instructions. Yes, the late model is the 280 also noted in the later instructions.

EDIT: Well, Baddog doesn't have any right now, and Zeddfindings lists only the 70-74. Zparts has plastic tubes for all models. They look VERY different so I guess they aren't interchangeable. Learn something new everyday with these cars.
Thanks for your response Virto. As you said, 'Learn something new everyday with these cars'. Thanks to your post, I now have Zparts bookmarked along with other Z parts suppliers...I wasn't aware of them before your response.
Go to page 171 of Wick Humble's book and you will read these instructions. Yes, the late model is the 280 also noted in the later instructions.
Thanks Jim, this was just the information I was looking for.

Gary S.

• 2 months later...
You must heat the upper end to reshape it enough to get it through the hole in the filler neck box...

Oh, so the old filler tube us INTENDED to be hard as a rock... strange.

I thought that it had hardened with age. The new filler hose that I just got from Courtesy parts is soft and pliable. Once I saw how much easier it was to bend the new one, I cut the old one out with a chisel.