IGNORED

Body rotisserie or regular rotisserie? plus a few questions

280z1975

Ok,

So now that I have a good idea on how I am going to work on my frame rails and put on a new undercoating on my car comes the fun part of putting the car on a rotisserie.

I saw this link for a different sort of rotisserie

http://www.cjautos.org.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/cjautos?opendocument&part=4

Any opinons of this? Sources to buy or plans to build? Would this damage my suspension or other parts of my car?

I don't plan on doing a full strip of my car (the engine will still be in it) but most of the body panels will be comming off and other stuff.

Second, I know there is a guy in Houston who makes rotisserie's for z's? But I couldn't find his information. Also is there anyone in the Houston area that has a rotisserie they could loan me for a bit?

Thanks for the help.

Some of the comments on that thread are pretty interesting. How dangerous is it really to have a ~350 lb shell supported by two engine stands (albeit modified) that were rated to 1000 lbs each. I can spin the whole car on my rotisserie with one hand. About the most disconcerting thing with mine is getting in the car and having it start to spin. The pin for the engine stand isn't tight enough in the hole so it allows the car to rotate 15º or so. Get in the passenger side then move to the driver side and it swings over to that side. That is a pretty freaky feeling.

If you do a search, this thread comes up:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18067

I have read that thread and liked a lot of the information.

My biggest problem is the money I have to put into my Z at the moment (I have the effort and time). Even $475 for a rotisserie is a bit more than I want to spend (about 1/4 of my budget). I am looking for a rotisserie that I can put my car on without having to remove the engine (it's mechanicaly good and the engine bay won't be painted this time around). This is why I want to put it on that body roller / rotisserie thing I posted about earlier.

If I can't find a solution I will do the body work the hard way. I use to weld trailers and other stuff in the same positions.

I will also go to a metal fab shop to ask about the body roller idea and how much to make. My biggest concern is the stress to the body of the car and things it could damage.

Gregg,

For what it may be worth to you...I have provided a link to some pics of my resto project I did this year.

They deal specifically with your questions...ie. frame rails, rust protection and the rotisserie. There are additional pics in my gallery as well.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d81/jackhammer02/

Briefly... the frame/floor rails are from baddog, the engine bay rails were fabbed from my specs by a shop here in Houston and are made to cap over the originals.

The entire undercarriage of the car was treated to specs with POR 15 products. The rotisserie is two engine stands and it worked perfectly fine. Note: As with any project such as this when caution and respect are used the chances of accidents are reduced.

Also FYI...

I also included the link to our local Z Club here in Houston. We have a lot of knowledgeable members and a great local resource for stuff.

http://www.zcar.org/

Jack

Jacks setup would work fine, but if you don't lengthen the masts then you can't spin the car all the way around because the roof would hit the floor. Its still much easier to work on the frame rails when the car is sideways, but might be easier yet if it could go all the way over.

One thing I noticed is that the angle of the pivot on the engine stands is different. I had a 750 lb stand and the head angled up about 10º. It looks like Jack's stand did the same, so he took the front wheels off to level the head. The 1000 lb units I bought from Harbor freight had the head set straight on the mast, but had the bottom of the mast attached at an angle. What I did was cut the bottom of the mast off, then cut it square, then welded it back onto the base. Then to lengthen the mast I sectioned 10 or 12" out of a 3rd engine stand. I did also add some diagonal braces on the sides to reinforce the much taller mast. This allows the car to go all the way around.

I will also go to a metal fab shop to ask about the body roller idea and how much to make. My biggest concern is the stress to the body of the car and things it could damage.

Seems to me you could just as easily make a roller that mounted to the same points as the rotisserie(bumper mounts) rather than the wheel hubs. This would also allow for removal of the suspension components. If I ever need to do this I think I might just go that route. With the solid body and paint I have, I doubt that's going to be any time soon.

Hey Greg, check out some threads by a club member Mull. His name is Philip. He just posted an update to his resto thread not long ago. Fun post but it takes some time to go through it all, it will get you pumped up in the end. My purpose for bringing it up is that he cuts and welds more metal off that car than you will believe and he has it on jackstands!!! I must admit, I bought a rotisserie from a club member and it is a backsaver. But if the budget is tight, you can get by without it. Check it out, the music is fun also!!! Good welding!

Seems to me you could just as easily make a roller that mounted to the same points as the rotisserie(bumper mounts) rather than the wheel hubs. This would also allow for removal of the suspension components. If I ever need to do this I think I might just go that route. With the solid body and paint I have, I doubt that's going to be any time soon.

I hadn't thought about that ... a body roller that is attached like a rotisserie. I like the idea because the concept is much easier (and a bit safer) than that of a body rotisserie and much easier for me to fabricate for what I want to do (move the car with the engine and still in it.

Well guys, when I am back look for some plan to be made for a new design / alternative to the traditional rotisserie.