IGNORED

280Z Timing Question

a752adz

I just bought a timing light from Sears. It is the inductive pickup with the advance dial. I painted the notch on the pulley. What number (degrees) am I trying to line this up with on the timing scale for a 75 280Z. The manual says 7 degrees BTDC. That was new with no miles. The engine now has 150k plus. Also, am I supposed to dial in the desired number of degrees on my timing gun to match what I want on the timing scale before I adjust the distributor? Or do I leave the gun set at zero? The car runs, idles, and revs strong while parked but has no power when I drive it and it backfires through the AFM when I try to accelerate along with hesitation and choppy idle like a Big block Chevy. Car has NEW vacuum hoses, AFM, throttle switch, elec. fuel pump, fuel filter, and PCV. Thanks for your input.

Did you set the TVS correctly? Valve adjust? Compression check? Plug wires /dist cap/ rotor.

Leave the dial on the back at 0. You're trying to line up the mark on the pulley with 7 on the timing scale to get the number you're talking about. I do believe, however, that you should be setting it at 10 degrees, not seven.

It is hard to read the numbers on my timing scale. What is the number sequence? (75 280Z) I also forgot to add the distr. cap, rotor, plugs and wires have been changed recently also. There is a ticking from the valve area. I've been told it was valve lash out of adjustment but the car has recently gone faster/stronger with this issue.