IGNORED

Can you tell me about a 1980 280ZX?

oldroaddog

I've been passing by a Z car on a mom & pop car lot near my house for several weeks now. I looked at it through the fence on a Sunday and finally pulled in this afternoon to get a closer look. It's a 1980 280ZX with what looks to be original features. The paint has been touched up here and there. There's a rust spot on the passenger side front quarter panel. Seals on the windows look good. No cracks in the glass. I could not detect an rust on the frame rails but that will require closer inspection. The engine is running well and the seller has driven the car fairly often. The interior is a little rough with some tears in the seats, cracks in the dash and needs a real good cleaning. The original radio is missing of course with a cheezy replacement secured by a wood face plate. This car is an automatic which is why I'm interested. My daughter will be needing a car in a few years and she wants something sporty but with automatic transmission. So I'm looking for input from members as far as how this particular model stacks up to the 240, 260 and 280 models. Any inheirent design flaws? I know it's got the same engine as my '75 and the odometer says 103,000. I was told they'll take $1800 cash for the car and I'm going to stop by again tomorrow, look closer and take some pictures. So if the past or present 280ZX owners will speak up I would appreciate it.

For a "novice" driver, I'd want something more modern, with modern safety features,(crumple zones, etc), and more reliable than a 25 yr old car. The last thing a novice driver needs is a sporty car. Better to learn how to drive safely in a modern car, then graduate to a sporty car when skill have been honed.

This has been discussed in detail previously...........

I agree a 280zx for a first driver is a lot of car. Plus as was all ready stated ,the age , it will need tinkering and you must be prepaired to do some repairs just to keep it road worthy . Again simply because of it's age. For your daughter I think you would be better served with a , I hate to say it , Honda civic. Now for you , it could be a great car , but it sounds like a project . LOL My 5cts Gary

I have also been monitoring Celica and Supra auctions on eBay. Specifically 1980 through 1990 automatics. I love the dependability of Toyotas and the later models do have safety features that would be desirable for a teenage driver. The Supra Turbo is definitly too much power though.

• 2 weeks later...