IGNORED

couple of questions...

sclay115

i recently acquired a 72 240z with a built l28 in it, car is great but the car has triple webers on it, and the throttle linkage binds up when i try to give it throttle. i'm looking for one of two things, a fancy solution of bellcranks and such, or in my eye, the simpler route, perhaps a little help trying to figure out how to convert the car to a throttle cable as apposed to cranks...

i am also curious as i am getting heavy white smoke under throttle, but i recently did some work on the valve seals and had the cylinders aired up, and didn't notice really any leakdown...but i'm assuming it's the rings, saying i go and do a proper test of the leakdown/compression, what sort of numbers should i be looking for?

Is the white smoke billowy and sweet smelling? It could be a coolant leak. A blown head gasket, cracked block, cracked cylinder head, etc... could cause coolant to leak into one or more cylinders, which would cause white, billowy smoke.

Another thing to check would be the oil. Start the engine and run it until it reaches operating temperature. Shut the engine off and check the oil. If it is frothy you've got a coolant leak.

Since Webbers have been around forever on Z cars I would look into why your linkage is binding. It is probably just a simple alignment problem. I would disconnect one link at a time until the binding one is found and determin why it is binding and correct it, shouldn't be hard.

I agree with Kenny on the white smoke = coolant, this is something that needs looked into ASAP before the engine is ruined.

thanks for the info guys, but i just did some more looking into it and it seems like it's just running absolutely too rich, i'm not losing any oil on the dipstick, so that is solved, and i'm not losing any coolant, sort of a relief really, now that i know it's only fuel. but the thing with the linkage is that it's some sort of rigged linkage on there, not the one that should be at all, so i'm looking to see if i can convert it or if i can buy all the parts to bring the linkage back to spec...

This place has all the linkage stuff and they also have a cable linkage.

http://www.racetep.com/linkage.html

awesome, thanks for the website, also though, does anyone have any pictures of the way the linkage is supposed to look? either stock or with a cable setup..i'm pretty new to this car, and i'm having a hard time envisioning how it's supposed to look up by the firewall...

FYI--

My rig has had a head gasket leak for years, it doesn't froth the oil and I don't lose coolant...it is just enough to cause a little bit of the billowy white smoke at times (under load, heavy acceleration)....so a minor head gasket blow can cause the symptoms you have.