motor rpm drop??? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

motor rpm drop???

Featured Replies

here's a question for all you mechanics .. I have a 77 280 that is FI . Should the rpm s drop when I remove the oil dip stick ..or the oil filler cap in the valve cover. If not .. why would it do this ? The motor almost dies when I do this.

thanks .. bruce

Yup, totally normal. The crankcase is vented into the intake, after the air flow meter. Removing either of those items lets lots of un-metered air in causing a very weak (lean) mixture.

  • Author

thanks .. good to know.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.