Oil pump installation! - Page 3 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Oil pump installation!

Featured Replies

  • Author

My cam and crankshaft are set exactly like the link you have on here, it is just my oil pump that is off one tooth clockwise.

  • Author

The only way I could get it to time right is with it one tooth counterclockwise from where the service manual says to put it (11:25) so it is at more like 10:20. But it is running like a champ.

Glad you got it running good, but this is the first time I've heard of having to set it 1 tooth off in that direction.

However, it does prove the point that the illustrations in the manuals can't always be taken as being 100% correct in every situatuion. Hard to figure out why this happens, but to my way of thinking, the only variable is the adjustment bolt between the distributor and the distributor base. Timing chain doesn't come into play in this situation, the oil pump & distributor d/s is gear driven so there shouldn't be anything to cause variance there.

  • Author

Yeah it runs like a bat outa hell. But now I ran into a problem with the shifter not fitting into the console. I used the original that I got with the 5 speed from pick and pull but for some reason it doesnt want to go into 1st gear because it hits the middle console. I got the 5 speed from a 1979 280zx, I dont know if there is any difference in the shifters, could someone let me know if I have the wrong shifter? Thanks

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I am going to have to find me another shifter like the left one on the bottom of the page. Thanks webdawg.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.