IGNORED

Overspray on seats

Zak's Z

Hi Guys,

While my '72 is in the shop getting new floors/rails, I found a donor car, and the seats in it are in nice shape. After I cleaned them up, I noticed some slight overspray (red) on the sides (door sides of course). I went so far as to take some varsol and superfine steel wool and gave it some light scrubbing, but I ended it there before I did any damage, and thought I'd ask the pro's. Does anyone have an idea on how to get it off? I think black vinyl paint might be a last resort, but I'd rather try and get it off first. Thanks,

Zak

I use Laquer thinner , it is less aggressive than aceatone I believe . However either will damage the finish if you are not careful . Dampen a clean white cloth with the thinner and gently wype accross the paint . DO NOT scrub and DONT SOAK THE RAG IN THE THINNER . Be patient and wait a min or so before you wype again. When you have removed the offending paint , if the finish on the vinyl is dulled . By some SEM Color Coat vinyl spray paint in Landau black . this will give the shine like the orgional finish . This spray is about $10.00 a can but it really good stuff . I have used it on my interior and am vary happy with the results . I found it in the automotive paint supply store where I bought the paint for the Z . Gary

Thanks guys..Ill give it a go tomorrow. The Z is actually becoming a reality now, and I can just start to see the light at then end of the tunnel..when its back from getting the floors/rails, i will start the body prep. Hopefully same time next year she'll be all original and solid. Ill have lots of questions in the mean time!

Cheers,

Zak

As Gary mentioned, use the Lacquer Thinner, but do be careful. If your rag is soaked, you can cause as much damage as you can with Acetone. Acetone is way too agressive for the vinyl and will mark the vinyl in nothing flat. Isopropyl Alcohol is good for degreasing and opening up the grain when you're ready to paint (and back-rubs), but I prefer SEM's Vinyl Cleaner. It works quickly and leaves the surface ready for paint.

2¢

Enrique