MSA Air dams??? - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

MSA Air dams???

Featured Replies

large501412.jpg

I've been debating about wheather or not to get one. The more I see this one from MSA with the brake cooling ducts, the more I think hhhmm that would look sharp on my Z :D

They have this one in both fiberglass and urethane. Urethane is higher price because it's more durable I believe. Do they hold paint as well as the fiberglass??? I've heard it's better to have fiberglass if you want to paint them. True or False???

They have this one in both fiberglass and urethane. Urethane is higher price because it's more durable I believe. Do they hold paint as well as the fiberglass??? I've heard it's better to have fiberglass if you want to paint them. True or False???

Urethane will paint just fine provided you add a flex additive to the paint. This will keep the paint from cracking when the airdam flexes. It's really a matter of preference. I'd avoid curbs and such whichever way you decide.

  • Author

Cool. thanks

Which one do you have on yours Mike? Fiberglass or urethane? Looks nice.

I have a Urethane one. It is very nice and I like the fact that it flexes so it is easy to install. I dont have to worry about breaking it like fiberglass.

My 2 cents...

post-4747-14150795962853_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Yeah, thats why I want urethane too.

So how do they go on? Do they line up with the current holes? Or do you have to do some customizing?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Fiberglass holds it's shape better, and you will come to find out the urethane ones flex and actually move at highway speeds. After a while, the shape changes on the urethane ones and tends to sag a small bit. If you could brace it a bit, that would certainly help. i used to have one of their fiberglass ones and the tend to easily crack if you hit *anything*, like parking bumpers. For that reason, I would highly recommend going urethane.

Fiberglass holds it's shape better, and you will come to find out the urethane ones flex and actually move at highway speeds. After a while, the shape changes on the urethane ones and tends to sag a small bit. If you could brace it a bit, that would certainly help. i used to have one of their fiberglass ones and the tend to easily crack if you hit *anything*, like parking bumpers. For that reason, I would highly recommend going urethane. Also, air dams are truly functional, I remember how my Z used to float at 70mph, and became much more glued to the road after the airdam.

I was interested in this one also, if you get it send me some pics and tell me what you think of it! my car is in the body shop as we speak getting a complete restoration. I was planning on going with the carbon fiber front spoiler with ducts, this is one that attaches onto the front valance, but I would have to buy a new front valance b/c mine is shot, and then the front spoiler, and I am liking what you guys are talking about, then i wouldn't even have to have the front vanlace at all would I?? tell me all you thoughts?!

I was interested in this one also, if you get it send me some pics and tell me what you think of it! my car is in the body shop as we speak getting a complete restoration. I was planning on going with the carbon fiber front spoiler with ducts, this is one that attaches onto the front valance, but I would have to buy a new front valance b/c mine is shot, and then the front spoiler, and I am liking what you guys are talking about, then i wouldn't even have to have the front vanlace at all would I?? tell me all you thoughts?!

That's essentially why I went with an airdam myself. On a 240Z it completely replaces all three metal pieces under the bumper: the center valence and the two corner pieces that the turn signals mount into. Mine were fairly banged up and new pieces were a lot more expensive than the urethane airdam. I still have my originals if I decide someday to get them straightened out and painted.

  • Author

If I do decide to get it which I more than likely will, It will be a project for next spring. Our nice weather is getting numbered here in MN. and it won't be long before I have to tuck her away for winter :cry::cry:

When I do it, I'll for sure post pictures. Urethane- May flex and change shape over time? Fiberglass- cracks easy if you tap ANYTHING??? gggrr which one to choose????

I suppose I won't be able to use ramps anymore to work under the front if I do get a air dam Which will kinda suck because I use my ramps to get the front or rear up so I can get my floor jack to fit underneith. Guess I'll have to get a couple bottle jacks :)

Thanks again all.

Well...if you do decide to go with fiberglass, take a look at the stuff I posted for sale this morning. I'm not going to use it so make me an offer :classic:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.