IGNORED

1979 280z fusible links

slaptimmay

i dont prefer either. i dont know what a z in these years run like compaired to the zx. if i did i may like z's more. i still love z's. i got to drive a 350z and i creamed my pants. but in those years the zx is all i know so its wut i love. now if any of you would want to let me drive your z :bunny: then maybe ill be a z lover. i dont think i would get rid of my baby tho. i got plans for it and i dont plan on getting rid of it till they are done.

Well, lighter is always better and 240-260-280zs are lighter than 280ZXs. By the time the 280z came along in 75, they were already beginning to get heavier. Safety and emissions equipment, air conditioning, etc. With the 280zx add all of that plus power steering and along with the redesign it was just a bigger and heavier car. They were also aiming at a broader market. I'm not sure which year but I believe that on of the 280zxs (79-83) was the best selling of all Zs. My daily driver is a 79 Datsun 810 2dr hardtop. Bigger than a Z, heavier than a Z but it's based on the Z drive train so it still gives you that Z feeling somewhat when you drive it. But again it's not a Z. And even though my Z is a 78 and I love it, I feel that the 'real Zs' are the 70-73.

Actually, depending upon your reference, the ZX weighed about the same as the 280Z. If you look at http://zhome.com/History/zcarperf.html, you will see a lot of variation in the curb weight.

My dad's friend gave me a chance to drive his 280ZX turbo back in 1988. (I was checking out his new toy and noticed a tire was low on air. I brought it to his attention, and he tossed me the keys to take care of it.) There was a nice 90 degree turn and a wonderful chicane (now gone) on the road to the gas station. That ZX handled fairly well.

What the ZX lacks in simplicity, it makes up for in different ways. I wouldn't trade my 73 for a ZX, but I would certainly be willing to add a ZX to my stable.

I don't really know if you can draw any conclusions from those charts. Lots of modified vehicles there. Does that also mean that depending on your reference that a 78 280z is faster than a 70 240z? You could draw that conclusion from that chart. Lies, damn lies and statistics! But that wasn't really my point. From 70-83, they became progressively heavier. Don't really need a chart to conclude that.

If you do end up replacing a relay or fusible link just be aware of the following as it relates to availability of parts. I was able to obtain 280ZX fusible links from the local Nissan dealer and the prices weren't terrible. Just recently I needed to replace the fuel pump relay for my '78 280Z and Nissan wasn't able to supply one. I called motorsport and after a couple of days they got back to me with a price of roughly $70 from Japan. In the meantime a friend suggested giving NAPA a try (I wasn't expecting much) but, to my surprise the counter person checked in the catalog and we matched my original six prong relay and $36.00 changed hands and a couple of days later the new piece was ready for pickup. The real surprise was when I opened the box to find it was a new piece made by Niles of Japan (the OE supplier to Nissan) with the only difference being the flat black paint on the case as opposed to the cadmium coating supplied from the factory. As a brief aside Olympic auto parts was also able to get a relay but, it was a four prong unit for the same price.

I don't really know if you can draw any conclusions from those charts. Lots of modified vehicles there. Does that also mean that depending on your reference that a 78 280z is faster than a 70 240z? You could draw that conclusion from that chart. Lies, damn lies and statistics! But that wasn't really my point. From 70-83, they became progressively heavier. Don't really need a chart to conclude that.

Well, I can draw some conclusions from those charts, and I stated at the beginning of my post I was commenting on the CURB WEIGHT of the 280ZX as compared to the 280Z. The data clearly shows the weight was going up from the 240Z to the 280Z. To make it easier for you to read, I eliminated the modified cars and any review that wasn't from Car & Driver, Road & Track, or Motor Trend. I also elimnated the automatic transmission & 2+2 cars to make it more of an apples to apples comparison.

The curb weight of the 280Z varied between 2780 lbs and 2875 lbs.

The curb weight of the 280ZX varied between 2825 and 2970 lbs. The last weight was well above the other 4 normally aspirated cars, too.

So, did the weight go up from the 280Z to the ZX? The data doesn't support a significant weight gain. I would be willing to review any dataset of curb weights that contradicts my assertion. That would be much more convincing than your strawman argument of attacking the data. So, do you have anything to support your point other than "everybody knows the ZX was heavier"?

-------------------------

Curb Source

Datsun 240Z Wght (date)

-------------------------

70 Z 2355 RT 4/70

70 Z 2330 CD 6/70

--------------------------

Curb Source

Datsun 260Z Wght (date)

--------------------------

74 Z 2665 RT 2/74

74 Z 2660 CD 4/74