"Removable Steering U joints" - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

"Removable Steering U joints"

Featured Replies

Need some help in the "how to remove these" department

take a look.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/631840/7

I've tried the method using two sockets, one larger than the bushing, 1 smaller than the bushing, press them out with a vice... doesn't seem to do any good.

Anyone else have a better method to removing these?

Thanks

Just two questions.

Why are you replacing them?

Have you found a correct replacement?

I do not believe that is a replaceable U-joint. WAY back in the late '70s, I was trying to get rid of shimmy on my '71 240Z, and thought that joint was sloppy. Even back then, the best I could do was grab one off a parts car that looked better.

I actually found an entire NOS assembly with that U-joint last year on e-bay. Going into my 240Z restoration now...

Oh, and BTW, on my '71 all those years ago - it wasn't the problem...

  • Author

They are cheap and I might as well replace it while its out of the car?

EDIT: I thought they were at least, now that you've asked I can't seem to find where I found the replacement part. I thought VB had them, but looking in their catalog I now can't seem to find them. Either way, its not that they need replacing so much as it is what I said in the next paragraph.

I don't really have a solid answer. I was going to paint the steering column shaft while it was out of the car to match the rest of the suspension, semi-gloss black. Would prevent anymore corrosion from forming, I've wire brushed and steel wooled most of the rust/corrosion/dirt off the shaft and wanted to paint it, but I didn't want to paint over the joint shown while it was together, figuring that the first time it was moved it would chip the paint....

No circlips, its supposed to be a press fit, and I've seen a few how-to's on how to remove them... but they don't work. I'm thinking the how-to's might have been for a different year, which may have had a slightly different u-joint here.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.