Plastic fan will not fit '71 Z - Parts Swapping - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Plastic fan will not fit '71 Z

Featured Replies

I bought a 280Z clutch and fan from someone on ebay. I restored the clutch and the fan and tried to mount it on my '71 240Z. I have a new 4-row rad in the car and a 280 (F54) engine. The fan assy is too thick to mount in the car. It is about 5/8" thicker then the 240 fan assy. Maybe I got a 280ZX assy. What do I do? Is there a thinner or shorter clutch for the 280.

Maybe the 4 row rad is the differance..?

-Jeff

as you probably know the 70-and I thought some 71's came with the metal fan and the clutch was diffrent , I also have read from looking up on building a stroker motor that the f54 had some clearance issues , I know on my 72 I have a 4 core and it fits fine with the 72 and up plastic fan / older clutch

Take a look at the metal mounting surface of the fan. If it's at the front edge of the fan it's a 280 unit. If it's recessed down towards the bottom edge it's a 280ZX-810-Maxima fan. Being recessed will make it sit farther forward to clear the longer crank pulleys that the ZX etc. had.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Aha! It set down in the plastic. It is a ZX fan. It is 2 7/8" thick and the stock metal/clutch assy. is 2". I need the correct fan assy. Thank you people!

Get a 280 fan and you'll be fine as long as you're not running a 3 row crank pulley.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.