Starter wiring question - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Starter wiring question

Featured Replies

I've narrowed my starting problem down to the starter/solenoid not getting power. (after installing a new starter, batt. cables, ignition switch). I know the negative batt cable grounds on the starter and the positive batt. cable goes to the starter lead. My question is which wire goes to the lead on the starter solenoid to give it power. There is a thick harness on the frame rail with a line coming from it that is going to the same lead as the pos batt cable. There is also another harness (thinner) that comes from over the auto trans tunnel and along the frame rail with a little yellow wire that comes out from there. I'm thinking the wire from the thick harness should go to the solenoid post. As you can see, I have not been able to find service manuals at my local parts stores. I appreciate any guidance and input.

If the car is an automatic the problem may in the inhibitor switch. If this switch is malfunctioning or out of adjustment you wont get power to the solenoid. It's what we Americans refer to as a neutral safety switch.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks for your input and advice. The problem was in the starter inhibitor switch for the auto trans.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.