IGNORED

How common are electrical Problems?

Louiem

I've got a 74 260 with all kinds of problems. A few years back I had a 73 240 and the only problem I had was a bad alternator. I have not started on my other 74 so I am not sure if it has any electrical issues. Is this one area of weakness for Nissan? We shouldn't discount it as an age issue because I have two older cars without electrical problems.

Louie

Probably the biggest issue with a Z car electrically was the fuses getting hot and melting the fuse block. Most if not all Z's have had this happen at one time or another. Most of the time it was caused by a little corrosion either on the fuse holder or in the wiring somewhere, but once the damage is done it doesn't matter. Some cars I have seen actually set the plastic on fire. You should be able to find plenty of threads and posts discussing this on the site. It's happened to everyone sooner or later.

Other than that, the Z is no more prone to electrical problems than any other 25+ year old car.

I take it that the odds are pretty good that my other Z should have no electrical problems other than possibly a fuse box.

My problem Z seems to have a good fuse box. No signs of any damage there. Actually I have no idea where the problem originated since the car was already taken apart. He gave up on the car due to this problem.

Thanks.