IGNORED

Brakes in my 260 Z (that looks like a 240)

Guest Savvy

I just bought a 1974 260 Z. it looks identical to the 240 though. Anyways, that has nothing to do with anything. The only problem with it (aside from a bit of rust on the framerails) is that the brake pedal is incredibly squishy. I'm 17, and this is my first car, so I don't know what the problem could be. Can anyone help?

The zcar braking system operates on a hydraulic system. This means that fluid flows from your master cylinder to your slave cylinders under pressure.

When you press on the pedal, you are pressurizing the system and activating the cylinder at the other end (drums, or calipers).

If the system is "soft" to the feel, you might have air bubbles in the lines. These air bubbles will compress -- which feels like soft brakes.

I'm not going to say that the brake problem is an easy fix. The problems might be due to a faulty master cylinder, brake line, flex line, or even the slave cylinder. But, you might also have a simple issue such as air in the lines.

The fluid might need to be changed. At that time, you can inspect the rest of the system to determine if it's in good shape or not.

Here's what I would do... Ask the seller to take the car into your local shop for a brake check. Ask him to get the brakes bled at the same time. Any honest shop will tell you what's wrong with the system.

Better yet, crawl under the car and look for signs of fluid seepage. You can even bleed the brakes yourself if you have the patience.

Anyway, there's just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

-- M

------------------

Mike Gholson

1971 240z, Mikuni Carbs, Tokico 5-way Adjustable Struts, Ferarri Yellow, Stock Engine, 15x9 wheels w/50 series Falken tires, Currently being restored.