IGNORED

Im new so im sorry if this has been answered...

WishN4DaZ

Hi everyone, im new to this site and i REALLY dont know much about the 240 engine ( or even what its called, like z31 or L28 but i intend to read the tech info like crazy )

Right now im really looking at restoring an early 240Z, now my original intention was going to be dropping a 280zxT motor into the restored body of the car. Now, my question is this...is it possible to turbo charge the engine of the 240? insted of putting a new engine in?

If it is possible has anyone done it? what are the costs and what procedures must you go through to do it?

thanks alot everyone

Matt

it may very well be possible but i dont recommend it. The L24 (240z engine) was not made for turbocharging like the L28(280z engine). The L28T was reinforced with some weird stuff in the block, giving it the strength to handle the extra boost provided by the turbo and the L24 just doesnt have a very strong block. Another this is fuel systems...the L24 had the dual carbs whilst the L28 is injected. Carbs and a turbo are not the best combination, the lack of precise devlivery (and possibly lack thereof at high rpms) can counteract the effect of the boost. If you wanted to turbo you should go with the L28T or consider a Skyline engine.

I think you'll be looking for an engine from a 280ZX Turbo - this is the engine that has the front 3 and rear 3 cylinders "siamesed", (webs cast between the cylinders to improve block rigidity). Since this is an L28 engine(2753 CC), it is "bigger" than the L24 in your 240Z (2391 CC). Bigger bore (3.386 in/3.268 in) and longer stroke (3.110 in/2.902 in).

I haven't done the swap, but it does seem reasonable that it will be cheaper to buy a complete L28 turbo from a junk yard/auto wrecker's than to modify an L24 for turbo operation. The work involved would be much, much less as well.

I suggest you pick up a copy of Frank Honsowetz' "How to Modify Your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine" (check Barnes and Nobles or Amazon on-line).

Thanks for your help guys i appreciate it. If anyone has done the swap and could tell me what kind of problem i could have,

Ex: driveline, fuel system, delivery, so on and so forth

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks alot for all your help

Matt