IGNORED

240 To 280zx

hf240z

Hi,

i have a good running 240 which create too much noise on the crank area and lossing oil pressure as the oil gets hot.

so i decided to start building another motor. the one i bought is from a 280 with an "F54" ($150.00) stamped on the side and the head has

"p90a"($98.00) stamped between ist and 2nd spark plug. do i need to buy a different set of intake and exhaust manifold for it?

i already bolt in the fuel pump. Are the mounting brackets the same as the 240's?

i am also replacing my 4 spd with a 5 spd(77 280z)($89.00), can you pls give me some tips on what i need to have to do this and so i can avoid some unnecessary expenses?

thanks,

hf240z@yahoo.com

• 3 months later...

I wonder if you have a turbo motor? You defiantly have a 81-83 280zx motor. Also you have a turbo head - 90a is from a 83 280zx turbo. Has hydralic lifters.

I don't know what's your goal on this setup, so I can't advice you. I'd be confused with the parts you have if I didn't know how which direction I was going with the Z - FI, Carb, Turbo?

The P90a has hydraulic lifters. They can suffer from bleed down but will make you engine quieter by a lot. Expensive to replace though but you can kiss goodbye to opening that valve cover again as no valve adjustment is required with this setup. Make sure you are running a turbo oil pump. The extra pressure is required to "pressurise" the lifters.

If you don't like the idea of the P90a head...use your old head. Just be careful with the compression. If the motor is a turbo motor, then you will have dished pistons. That will equal low compression. You could shave the head but that brings more issues with clearance and valve train geometry. The non-turbo F54 block had flattop pistons.

Yes you have opened a little can of worms here but the good news is that this site will help you put them all back...and in the right order. It's not that hard...really.

A good link for you to use is http://geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html

this site goes into detail on what you are looking at doing.

The key to what you are doing is plan plan plan. Write it all down and then put costs against each part. Make a budget so you can forecast how much you will need and when.

Good luck

:classic: