IGNORED

Radiator repair

Alfadog

Hey Lachlan why dont you volunteer to be the 240K guiney pig for swapping radiator? :)

You can start measuring and go to your local wreckers and see whats similar

You can always buy a radiator hose and cut/modify it and also use a stainless muffler tip as a joiner free from exhaust places for offcuts

Then maybe just fabricate new mounting.

Might be a cheaper alternative.

If I would to spend AU$375 for recore i would just add more $$$ to upgrade to aluminum.

Goodluck!

Hey Lachlan.

I paid $300 for a 3 core rad for a Datsun 1600 14 years ago. This was from Z-16 in Sydney. Based on that, $375 for a H/D core for 240K is pretty good.

There's a guy called Turbovan at the Ozdat forums who'se just fitted a 1996 BMW 7 Series V8 alloy radiator in his SR powered 1600. This radiator cost him $400 brand new, but it also needs special mounts made up, and a pressurised overflow. Looks like it also has engine oil cooler fittings built into it (I'd have to confirm that, but that's what thye look like to me).

A couple of pics can be seen here:

http://turbovan.com/newdat/newdat14.jpg

http://turbovan.com/newdat/newdat15.jpg

Food for thought

Edit: Looks like you can't see the pics. You might have to head over to www.ozdat.com, and look for the "My now project" thread towards the top if the General Datsun Nissan Discussion. The photos of tha radiator are on page 4 of 6 of the thread.

Lachlan,

I used a 3 core radiator in my 240K last year, this was sourced from an R30 Skyline automatic.

I bypassed the trans oil cooler tank though and fitted a 91 Magna trans oil cooler.

To fit the R30 radiator you'll have grind/cut some off the mounting frame away so that it will fit into the radiator support panel, then drill a couple of holes in line with the K's mount holes.

For me this worked a treat, spent $50~ on a good radiator.

James

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, just wanted to add closure to this thread - I went for a standard recore - just 2 row as I don't really need anything more. Was $300 and was very quick. I had a bit of grief getting it back in (did up a clamp too tightly and squashed the outlet pipe on the bottom of the radiator :stupid:) but it's all good now. Thanks for all your help guys,

post-1243-14150795078207_thumb.jpg