IGNORED

A Thirst for Oil

The C110

While driving contently home from a hard days work, i happened to notice the oil pressure gauge on my c110 dipping and fluctuating uncharacteristically. Having only changed the oil three weeks prior, i had not checked the oil level since. Thus upon removing the dipsitck it was revealed the car had consumed 3-4 litres of new oil in roughly 3 weeks :tapemouth :tapemouth . Now what the hell could facilitate this if: The car is not blowing any detectable smoke at any rpm, and; The car does not have any detectable leaks. There is definitely residue around the sump, but that is due to a previously snapped sump plug washer. I had the car sitting on clean bitumen for nine hours and not a drop of oil was to be seen :stupid: . So is there any other location the oil could have moved to? The only large trip i made during that three week period was a 275km round trip to lancelin et al. Any help appreciated

Tom

I realise this might be a silly question, but when you did the oil change, did you put in 5.7litres? I have seen some guys just add the oil 'till it first shows correct level on the dipstick, without regard to how much oil they are actually putting in the engine, consequently the sump gets short changed!

Then there's the other extreme. Ever seen an engine filled...I mean filled with oil? Right to the brim of the oil breather in the tappet cover ROFL I shouldn't laugh...at least he was having a bash at doing it himself.

That is a lot of oil to simply go missing. How did you decide it was 3-4 litres? Is this what you had to add to bring the level of oil to the correct point on the dipstick? Speaking of dipsticks, I don't know about Nissan sixes but with various other vehicles the oil level markings vary with the sump (ie, same engine in different body shapes need a different sump so the correct oil level at the dipstick entry point varies, the height of the markings reflect this).

Any chance the dipstick could be the wrong one? It does happen. Thats why I ensure I find the correct capacity from the owners handbook, manual etc. and add that amount, fire it up for a short while, stop, let it sit a few minutes and then check the dipstick. If it's the correct dipstick it's always spot on! If not...make a new mark!

As Gav said, it may be sitting in the bellhousing, but if 3-4 litres is correct that's a sh*tload of oil to be sitting in there!! If the motor was simply pumping it out the exhaust, there would be plenty of evidence. After your trip the rear of the car would definitly have a dust covered oil film.

What oil did you use? Any chance it was a cockup with labelling?

Dunno Tom, but ya got me intrigued now....

Jim.

5.7 litres eh? I'll remember that. Thanks Jim

Just remember, that figure is with a filter change as well. Always put some fresh oil in the new filter, and smear a few drops on the rubber gasket before spinning it on.

Without a filter change, it's 5.0 litres.

Jim.

Thanks for the info, Jim.

Now thats very interesting...When i changed the oil, i recall putting in roughly 3.5-4 litres, and i changed the filter too, which was enough to show the correct amount on the dipstick. However, as you have informed me it was perhaps not nearly enough. Since i first noticed the low dipstick, i have refilled the motor with fresh new oil, but it did not take nearly 5.7 litres to show a correct amount after driving...Which leads me to assume that the dipsticks have a fairly large saftey margin built into them? It is definitely the original dipstick, so thats not an issue, and yes 3-4 litres is a fair bit to be sitting in the bellhousing! I think it may be noticed :D It sounds like you may have found the soloution :classic:, but ill be analysing the car over the next few days to see if there is a recurrance...I use castrol GTX, which was reccomeded to me by some 1600 guys also running l-series. I understand there is also a Penzoil oil that is quite good. Thanks for your advice,

Tom