IGNORED

Thinking about buying a 240k GT

NZeder

Guys that know about the 240k GT - I am thinking of purchasing a 240K GT to go with my Z (don't like Z with 2+2 config but like the look of the 240k). So when I am looking at cars are there any things that will help me find a good model - ie they rust here, make sure it has this part and it is not damaged etc. What are parts like to get? ie tie rods, body parts, (other than part cars)

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

From my own experience, they rust in pretty much the same places as Z's. Dog leg, bottom of doors, bottom of front fender, behind rear wheels, spare wheel well, battery tray... Also check the sill just above the tail light panel when you open the boot. Floors too if you can see them!

The hardest parts to find IMO are the stainless steel trim bits. It seems every owner has dinged every corner at least once... if you're not a perfectionist I guess this wouldn't matter to you though. Make sure it has good glass too, it's $320 in Australia for a new windscreen, but you can't get any other glass (haven't tried Nissan though).

All I have bought for mine is brake pads, so I dont think I could answer your last question well. That said, I can't imagine any parts being more expensive than a Z.

hey lachlan, where did you get the quote from? Wow that expensive?

I replaced my windscreen before but not my 240K my other old car and they had to make it cos they dont stock it anymore so it took like just over a week and I was only quoted $160 cos i shopped around and told them I got this price even though I didnt hehehe....

Anyway on the yellowpages theres a guy I cant seem to remember his name but he makes windscreens and he charges less than half of the price O'Brien charges...

anyway just sharing my experience...

Regarding the 240K check the battery tray and around it as well for rust. Regarding maintenance parts they are cheaper than the Z but not as common so you gonna have to order parts for it, still available though. 5 speed gearbox are getting rare or butchered cos heaps of the smaller datsun cars uses them moslty the P510s

Rob - from O'Brien's! That's exactly half. Did you get your windscreen replaced? That's good info to know, I'll have to remember that when I get mine replaced! It's really, really bad. You don't happen to know where I might be able to get side glass though do you?

5 speed gearboxes are DEFINITELY hard to find! Ive been looknig for well over four months now in perth/wa and have come across one, which the guy decided he didnt want to sell anyways... :stupid: Does anyone know of the viability of using a z based 5 speeder [not a 280 as the ratios are too tall for the l24]?