Newbie Needs a LSD...??? - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Newbie Needs a LSD...???

Featured Replies

I need to install a LSD on a 71 240...

I need to decide on a ratio & a type...

Please help ...

here is a great web site that will answer this question and many more for up grading the Z geocities.com/zgarage.2001/ you will find performance , info on carberation , ignition, diff and ratios and what years had what. Welcome , Gary

Give Les at CDM a big stack o money and leave your car... Volia!

No really, I've been considering it, even though the IRS Z needs it alot less than a live axle car. My roadster HAD to have a H190 LSD. I hated it with an open diff (Unlimited Slip Differential?).

The jury is still out on weither I'll LSD a R180 or swap up to the bigger, heavier R200. People speak of strength issues, But I think they are not considering that when you install the LSD, it's much stronger than the open. If you go down (up in your case) to CDM, Ask Les to show you his collection of R192 units. Sklyline LSD 444's and he wont sell, not even one.

Yah, Victor is correct about the improved strength of a LSD carrier assembly. The reason for the additional strength is because LSD utilize a 4 pinion gear set-up as apossed to a stock open carrier assembly that only has a 2 pinion gear set-up. Additionally, a LSD carrier case is typically stronger, due to it's intended use.

On new years day, I spent the better part of the day on a cold concrete slab in my garage, removing my 3.90 (open) R200, and installing my new (most of it is new anyway) 4.10 LSD R200. Took it for a drive that evening and boy was I a happy camper....now the gearing is perfectly suited to my type of driving. I have a late model 5 spd tranny from a 280ZX and before the installation of the new set-up, I only used 5th gear when cruising above 70mph. Now I can go to 5th gear a little earlier. And, of course the car moves out a bit quicker as well!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Thanx, I pretty much had made up my mind on R200 lsd but I feel relieved to hear your replies confirm it...

I'm sorry where or who is CDM...???

I have a 280block w/ a 240 head,a mail order schneider cam & 3 custom 50mm weber carbs She's fast & loud but slippery as heck...

Oh, I've seen links to a "phantom grip" R200 LSD conversion kit...

Have you heard anything on this...???

thanx in advance

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.