IGNORED

R200 lsd

acanthophis

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked out if it is viable to make up spacers that fit into the crown wheel bolt holes in the diff centre?

I have heard about it being done with 12mm holes to fit 10mm bolts, so it might be viable doing it with 17mm holes to fit 10mm bolts.

acanthophis, I'm not too sure about the differences between the GTR differential an an R200 long nose differential, but ring and pinions gears come as matched sets and are not interchangable, even if they have the same ratios.

240ZX is right about the ring and pinion being matched.

I think acanthopis is looking at the bolt head, not the shaft. The 12mm bolts have a 17mm head and the 10mm bolts have a 14mm head. If so, then it would be the same 12mm bolt shaft as the later 300ZX Turbo LSD. Easy to fix, just use a spacer like described here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14880

acanthophis, After a little more thought on your issue and with Jon's input....if the long nose R200 is a complete unit and has the desired gear ratio, you should be able to replace the open carrier with the GTR LSD carrier. Just be sure when you take it apart that you identify the position of the carrier bearing spacers because you will want to reinstall them as they were originally. This will maintain the proper backlash between the ring and oinion gears. It is also likely that you won't be able to reuse the old carrier bearings so but new ones and get the side shaft seals while you are at it.

Ok, I have been told (ie: have not seen for myself) that the splines on the stub axles (flanges) are different in number from the 260Z R200 to the R32 GTR - the 260Z having something like 29 splines and the R32 GTR having something like 31.

Have you encountered this problem? If so, how are you overcoming it?

Rob, I think your correct about the spline count. 29 splines is correct for the R200 (up to 1983 for sure) but you may want to varify the spline count on the other. You mentioned 31 splines but it may be 33 splines...as I just got off a LSD manufactures website, and recall 33 splines!!?