IGNORED

New Ford Project

Sulla

Just wanted to say hi to every one and give them some background since I am new to the board.

I have had Zcars since I was about 17 (34 now) and being a big Ford fan also I decided to start working on a V8 Small Block Ford Conversion for a 240z. It seems that watching the video of Darias and his 240z gave me the bug again to get busy and use some of the parts etc I have and build the z I have always wanted.

The plan at the moment is to...

1. Find a nice strait 240z to start from. All I have at the moment are 4 parts cars and other parts as my last driver was totaled when a car hit me from behind.

2. Add the pieces I have at the moment that include larger sway bars front and back (for 280z any one know if they will work have not had time to research it yet?) sport springs, imsa style flairs, small BRE style tail etc. And of course upgrade the brakes, wheels, remaning bushings etc and add the Type 3 Fiberglass Air Dam.

3. Finish researching V8 conversion and start ordering all the parts and buying the donar cars etc. I would like to go with a FI 351w and a T5 if it will fit. The only thread I have found the person could not get the 351w to fit. If any one knows if he has it going I live close to the Arlington Texas area he lives in and would love to see it. Any way I figure put in as many cubic inches as possible to start with to save money on building horse power later.

4. Or I just do the smart thing money wise and buy one that someone else already spent the time and money on, let them take the loss and I will just do small updates and drive it:)

Any way glad to finaly find this great resource and look forward to learning a lot from every one on the board.

PS If any one has a nice strait 240z in Texas and the price is right let me know.

• 1 year later...

Sulla, You're probably done by now, but if not, maybe I could provide you with some info from my conversion. Aside from what I have, can see, and found-out in the process, I know little. Also, I didn't do the conversion myself.

1973 240Z. 1990 5.0 Liter High-Output Ford motor (from a Lincoln Mark VII). The differential is from an Infinity Q45, 3.50 gear ratio. I don't know the other names & terms for it. I also have a spare differential out of a 300ZX, which my mechanic tells me will also work. It has 6 hole sprockets, vice 5, so some adaptation will be needed.

The engine bay is very spacious, & my mechanic fabricated/welded his own engine mounts.

--Hope this helps.

Tacking onto my post above, MY QUESTION for knowledgeable eyes:

Can the stock tachometer be calibrated/adjusted (capable of) for the Ford V8?

I've got a '73 240Z, with a 1990 Ford 5.0L High Output motor; and MSD ignition. It's roadworthy, but I'm still connecting the gauges.

___ I've been working with/consulting a shop here in San Diego: "Speedo-Tach", and as they are not fluent in Z, they say they can't tell until they look inside the tachometer. Motorsport's Technical Support guys tell me that folks do it with Chevy's, but he can't confirm for the Ford. (To give you all the info: He also said I'd need the Ballast Resistor...which I no longer have. My mechanic [who did the conversion] disagrees with the Ballast Resistor need)

_ I'm not going to break a leg to use the stock tach, but do prefer to. Otherwise, I'll have to go with the aftermarket stuff, which could be a nice thing to do.

(I have looked through the forums, and on www.HybridZ.org, but have yet to have this specific question addressed)

Your help would be appreciated. Good day.

The Ballast resistor in the Z ignition circuit was only used to reduce the voltage from 12v to 6v in order to avoid burning out the points. Once you remove the points, there is no need to reduce the voltage, and in fact may cause you problems with the electronic ignition.

The "stock" tach in a 240 (4 wire) uses a loop of wire coming from the ignition to the coil to sense the current spikes going to the coil. This loop of wire comprises TWO of the FOUR wires going to the tach connector. The other two wires are to power the tach.

Now it ~may~ be possible for the tach to require the 6v voltage current through the coil but since it isn't part of the power circuitry going to it, I doubt it. The tach's power circuitry in fact, isn't even on when you're starting the car, it's only when the key is in RUN mode.

Now, since the tach is sensing current spikes, presumably there is some sort of counter that divides by 6 in it's circuitry, and that may be what they need to look at in order to determine what component needs to be changed to allow it to divide by 8. Otherwise, the stock tach would read a full third higher with an 8 cylinder engine. (i.e. at 600 v8 rpm it would read 800, therefore at 3000 v8 rpm : 4000)

Since the circuitry for the engine won't be that much different between Chevy and Ford, why not ask what they do for the Chevy and try that?

FWIW

E