IGNORED

FICD and my A/C

matria

I am looking for some help for the A/C system that I am installing in my early 260Z. The car did not come with a/c so I have taken most of the parts from a 280Z and am installing them in my car. My FSM talks about the Fast Idle Control Device that is actuated by one of the vacume solenoids to increase the idle speed when the engine is under load from the a/c. Do I need this item? Is this item similar to the one that is actuated by the EGR valve? Does anybody know where I can get one?

Thanks, Skip

260Z, SU's

• Like 1

The cars that had dealer authorized non-factory ac didn't have the ficd system. They just set the idle a little higher to compensate for the ac load. (900-1000 rpm). There are quite a few components in the factory ficd system. I really don't know what you mean by 'the one that is actuated by the EGR valve. The ficd has it's own vaccum device on the intake manifold. It feeds vaccum to the cannister that houses the ficd actuator. Take a look at these scans that show the components of the ficd system. I guess you could transfer it over to your 260 but it looks like a lot of work. My 280 doesn't have it (ARA ac system) and my 810 does (factory air). The lack of it on my 280 has never been a problem.

post-3797-14150794401218_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150794401608_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150794401896_thumb.jpg

• 10 years later...

Whoa bringing a thread back from the dead!  Funny enough Matria's car ended up in my hands anyway so I feel some obligation.  My first set of advice is to just get the AC unit in and set your idle to about 1100 RPM.  The most important thing is to make sure everything works and not worrying about the fast idle will make things slightly easier.  When that's working I would use an electronic solenoid to kick up your idle when the AC is engaged.  There was a conversation about this last week with pictures and sources:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/51811-servo-diaphgram-and-control-valve-for-ac-on-a-240z/

• Like 1

I'm actually still here too!  Well, occasionally.  I ended up putting the FICD system in the car I mentioned above in post # 2 approaching 11 years ago.  It was actually easy.  I used the vacuum tank and magnet valves but I didn't use the vacuum switch.  I tapped into the power line to the compressor so when the compressor was switched on, the vacuum went to the FICD and raised the idle.  I haven't owned the car in over 6 years but the system was easy to figure out and worked flawlessly.  Unfortunately, since I don't have the car I can't take pictures of the setup.

I don't know about others, but my FICD is a very fussy thing to adjust right.  It seems it always pulls the idle up too much or too little.  I've been tempted just to remove the thing.  The idle sag from the compressor isn't really so significant as to require compensation anyway.  Moreover, it takes a couple of seconds for the FICD to engage, and the engine bogs (just a little bit) until that happens.  And then the device isn't really strong enough to pull up the idle by itself.  You have to bump the accelerator for it to make that last little bit of travel.  Personally I wouldn't bother with the thing.