IGNORED

insulation questions

Brandy

Hi. I have a '70 240Z which had the original carpeting and padding removed, and when I got it the floor had been painted black (I can assume it was to hide any potential rust), and a new aftermarket carpet kit added, but not attached.

Driving this car means that the heat off the road as well as the engine comes into the driver's compartment, making the use of the a/c all but a waste of gas.

I'd like to place insulation in the compartment. I know MSA and VC sell kits, but was wondering where the insulation should go (I know, simple question). I plan to add insulation on the floor (of course), and if I feel really ambitious, would remove the seats and place insulation under the seats. But the center console part - is this part also insulated, and if so, any ideas as to high 'up' under the dash, or if special considerations should be made for the fuse box area.

There is insulation all the way up the firewall ("up under the dash"), also insulation all the way up and over the transmission tunnel ("center console part"). There are areas cut out of the OEM (factory) insulation where things like the ashtray, and fuse box brackets are located.

You can find insulation at generally cheaper prices through Eastwood, or other such resellers on the Net. I would try to cover the entire floorpan area (including under the seats, and the small area behind the seats. This will help to keep more heat out, and also help with noise as well.

Thanks. I was just going to pull everything out of the driver's compartment and cover everything, cutting holes for important things, as you suggest (I'm not a mechanic, so my nomenclature for anything automotive tends to be listed under 'stuff'). I want to start working on it this extended weekend. I'll try Eastwood, but was wondering if insulation sold at places like Home Depot and Lowes, the fireproof type, are similar? I notice that both VC and MSA list other uses for their insulation and thought that perhaps the same items could be used for cars?

Hi Brandy:

I'm afraid that I don't know about those products sold at Home Depot or Lowes. You might check the packaging to see if automotive useage is listed there. I tend to stick with stuff that is sold specifically for automotive usage.

BTW, here's the URL for Eastwood: http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Good Luck

I thought so, too. I already checked with Eastwood, and considering the money I've already put into this car, am planning to use their insulation, especially in light of the fact that their insulation is also good against moisture, rust being, of course, the bane of every Z driver.

I may be too late to make much difference (if you really went ahead last weekend), but you should use Google and eBay before deciding. There may also be past threads on this subject on this website, as well as zcar.com. There are many products out there specifically made to address the thermal and sound insulation problems of Zs and other cars. Personally, I went with Xtreme Dynamat. It comes in 1X2-foot 'sheets'. It's easily cuttable with scissors. it's kind of liek really thick tinfoil with sticky backing. You mold and cut it first, then peel off the coating and stick it in place. I paid $100 for a box of the stuff, which was enough to do the main cabin (firewall to behind seats) on my 280Z (seats and carpet must be removed) and it made a HUGE difference in how quiet the car rode. Not so much in insulating from road heat, but that was my secondary concern. BTW,this is about $190 retail, but I got it cheaper by going eBay. There are now scads of companies offering similar material. I would do a bit of research and do it right rather than sticking something from Home Depot in there.