IGNORED

Z related questions(Australia).

Gav240z

Really not sure what discs I'll be running I've just seen the brackets for adapting the calipers to a 240z strut. That's in the future for me so I haven't really concerned myself with it for now.

Not sure on 280zx boosters but I've seen S13, S14 etc ones fitted I'm sure they would work well :)

Im a bit suprised at your comments about the toyota calipers being dangerous Ive ran I found standard z brakes to be dangerous first club day got my quickest lap at the end of the day when i ran out of brakes she was metal on metal up front Symons plains is damn hard on brakes

Changed to hilux 4 spots when i did rebuild on solid discs with metal king pads then black flash pads found they lasted a lot longer and worked heaps better

Have since upgraded to falcon discs bolt straight onto hubs and you can buy blanks so you only have four holes you need not one big one plus 4 more when theres 5 stud discs with hilux vented calipers and good pads the difference was amazing and they keep on working Im not saying the 300zx calipers arnt better but i dont believe the weight is that big of issue and the cost is only $150 for a set of hiluxs calipers compared to a lot more for 300 zx

Mick

Yeah sorry when i say dangerous it's just the way I view it. If I was flying along and my wheels leave the ground I want them to return as fast as possible that means less weight to force back down.

They are fine and I'm sure not that much heavier than standard Z brakes but for now I just wanna tweak the standard ones to get the most from them until I can go with a better upgrade.

For me it just wasn't worth going through the hassle of putting the S12's on and finding a disc to suit it by the time they were installed i was gonna be up for around $400 at a guess.

For a couple hundred more I can go with Z32 brakes and I figure that they were the better option for me.

FWIW i never tested out the Toyota calipers on my car but I drove another Z with them fitted and definately noticed a difference when coming around a bumpy corner the steering felt heavier.

I also couldn't believe the difference in weight when i picked up a Z32 caliper compared with the Toyota ones.

So maybe dangerous is a bit over the top i mean they certainly will stop you quicker but it's just the way i feel. :)

i totally agree you might as well just put in some decent pads and upgrade to a better system when you want to do the whole job no point putting on zx disc and having less disc space

But for dollar performance i find it hard to go past the late model hilux calipers and falcon discs $120 for discs brand new $150 good second hand vented hilux calipers make a mount small machine on hubs $250 good street come race pads and away you go About $800 fitted top system and good value

Mick

What about fitting DBA's cross drilled and slotted rotors and competition pads and linings?

No weight increase better heat dissipation, reduced fade? nice and easy.

You can also vent the drums by drilling small holes in the contact area!

Should help with heat loss.

Nick