Spray Gun question - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Spray Gun question

Featured Replies

can I use a gravity fed spray gun on conventional air compressor like 2.5HP with 40ltr tank to spray paint acyrlic base paint?

I heard most HVLP system uses gravity fed guns and I know you have to use a special compressor for it high CFM

just wondering if theres a version for conventional air compressor

Cheers!

AFAIK each type is specific to it's compressor, IOW you can't interchange them.

Enrique

  • Author

whats AFAIK and IOW????

i've read something about conventional air compressor using Gravity Fed Spray guns

and ive read on some books as well that you can mix and match

and also that you cant

so very confuse which one is right

ouch!

As Far As I Know, each type is specific to it's compressor, In Other Words you can't interchange them.

The High Volume Low Pressure gun counts on a LOT of air moving through the gun, into which the paint is metered into the air stream. I'm not sure on how the paint is atomized, but it is dependent on the VOLUME of air.

A Low Volume High Pressure depends on the pressure behind the nozzle to venturi the paint out and to both propel and direct the shape of the fanned spray. Below a certain pressure, the gun will "spit" and really give you a bad case of "orange-peel" that will look more like "cantaloupe peel".

The air source for an HVLP gun is basically a FAN that moves a LOT of air.

The compressor for an LVHP is a standard air compressor.

If I have any of this wrong, please post a correction.

Enrique

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

While I have never used a gravity fed gun, I believe it is more a function of how much air the compressor can put out, SCFM rather than what type of compressor it is.

The HLVP gun will actually operate on less pressure than LVHP.

My HVLP gun that I use to spray lacquer on furniture has the cup pressurized and runs about 25-35 lbs of air from the compressor

JMHO

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.