IGNORED

MSD 6A Installation with 280zx distributor and 240Z tach

Birkl

MSD 6A Installation with 280zx distributor and 240Z tach

I have tested this setup.

And it’s working fine on my car.

It's not a big work to get it working or hard to do.

Just follow the installation instruction from MSD, for how to connect wires etc.

I thought someone might have use for this post to make it even easier to do it.

1918msd_zx_240z_1r2.jpg

Some facts of the hw included in the setup:

MSD 6A, PN 6200

MSD tach adapter, PN 8610

MSD Blaster coil2, PN 8202

280zx distributor from a -82(NA 2+2).

Fitted in my -73 240Z with original tach.

Idle RPM dropped from 800 to 400.

Needs very little or no choke.

Runs smother, better now.

But its hard to say if its feels so much stronger then before. This was the first mod done to my engine.

I have a lot more things to do to it.

So I hope this was a good start to begin with.

If you have an autometer or another aftermarket tach it should be connected to the tach out. Refer to the installation instruction from MSD.

I will try to use the magnetic pickup input on the MSD. So the ignition module could be taken away. (Lesser things to break or fail)

But I don’t know how to connect the original 240z tach to it.

It might be necessary to change it to a 280z tach and connect it to the tach out at the MSD.

Wow thanks heaps for this as i am having the same problem. Only i cant understand what you have done to the setup to make it work, i dont have an MSD tach adapter, do i need one? and does it have to be an MSD coil?

I dont really understand it when you say the Resistor is taken away either. Also, the white wire that rins from the MSD to the Ballster resistor, is that spliced in the middle and then wire into the Tach adapter and Ballaster, like the red wire.

Please let me know if i am muddled up about the whole thing.

Id really appreciate the help

Thanks

I dont have an MSD tach adapter, do i need one.

I dont know what kind of tach you got...

If its an 240z original one, then yes.

and does it have to be an MSD coil?

Read the MSD 6A instalation instruction.

Yes it is possible to use another brand.

The models is listed in the instalation instruction. It can bee down loaded at msdignition.com

I dont really understand it when you say the Resistor is taken away either.

You will not need it at all.

Whit this setup there is no points in the distributor to care of. Just full power :love:

Also, the white wire that rins from the MSD to the Ballster resistor, is that spliced in the middle and then wire into the Tach adapter and Ballaster, like the red wire.

There is no balaster resistor in this setup... You might think of the ignition module at the 280zx distributor (B-C conections).

I used the wires supplied with the MSD 6A. The picture is just shematic...

Use one conection point for each circuit.

For the red light gauge wire. As an example.

-from msd 6a to B/W wire.

-At the same point it goes a wire to the tach adapter.

-And a wire to terminal B at ignition module.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by jaynez31

From your drawing, red and white wire from MSD ignition meet black outlined box between the MSD ignition box and tach adaptor. Is B and C stand for distributor?

Please see my question:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13347

thanks,

Yes B and C are the connections on the distributor/ignition module.

• 1 year later...

The part number for the Tach Adapter should be 8910 and not 8610. PN 8610 is a 7" harmonic balancer for a magnetic crank trigger kit. This will save someone the 10 minutes of making a phone call (or searching the MSD website) that it cost me.

From your drawing, red and white wire from MSD ignition meet black outlined box between the MSD ignition box and tach adaptor. Is B and C stand for distributor?

Please see my question:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13347

thanks,

This is a reference to the Ignition Modules attached to 79-83 280ZX electronic distributors. The most desired is the E-12-80 found on 79-81's. The modules have the letters B and C on the front as a reminder where to connect the wires. B=batt(+), C=coil(-).

Oh yeah, thanks for the drawing Birkl. This will come on handy. I plan on adding the MSD6AL to my 73' down the road a bit. I just finished up with the 280ZX dizzy swap and had no problems with my tach so the first step is complete. Started on the first crank.

• 4 months later...

Yes, it will work with virtually any ignition system. You can use your existing dizzy. If I recall correctly, the 79' dizzy already has an e-12-80 ignition module. If so' you're in great shape for this upgrade. Based on memory, I don't think you need to worry about the tach hookup on a 280ZX. It should just work. Someone correct me if I'm talking out of my arse.