IGNORED

ID for 240 vs 280 Doors

early240Z

The simplest way to tell a 240 door from a 280 door is to look for the side guard door beam. Open the door (or look near the latch), on the outside seam where the outer door skin is crimped around you will see a raised portion about 4 or 5 inches wide. If it has the raised portion you are looking at a 280 door. No raise, it's a 240 or early 260. The latch differences are so slight you may not notice.

I was comparing the doors of my 10/72 '73 240Z to my 12/74 '75 260Z(like 280 doors). I took the door panel off the 240 and 260 and tried to swap. The latches seem to match but the armrest and handle mount holes are in different locations. Looking at them with the door panels off it is more obvious that they are different. Externally the latch, handles and hinges look the same but it would only be a good swap if you changed both doors and changed the interior door panels with the doors.

I didn't look at the rear door seam to verify 2manyZ's comments, but I am confident they are correct!

Questions, corrections or comments welcomed!

Have fun!

Since Royce mentioned 260's, I'm not sure but it would seem logical that the early 260's would not have the door beam, but the late 260 probably would. Since they had to use the government mandated larger bumpers I think it's quite possible a late 260 door would be the same a a 280. The door bar probably makes the 280 door a few pounds heavier than the 240 door, maybe 2-4 pounds. I haven't taken a door bar out but it looks to be quite stout. I have heard that it is possible to take it out, you need to grind off the panel near the door seam on both ends and then hammer it out so that you can grab it with vise grips and work it out. Then you'll need to weld the seam back up on both sides of the door.