IGNORED

Strut Cartridge Removal

Mike

How in the world do you get that shock cartridge out of the strut assembly?

Well, you need to have contacts, or a nice wrench will do! :-)

Your main goal is to release that top nut. It's a pain. It's a big pain. It's not easy to remove with vice grips, a pipe wrench, or any other standard wrench around your house. If it's stuck.... you can give up now.

Do this. Take it down to your local Nissan dealer. Go into the shop area and bring the strut with you. More than likely, someone will approach you and ask if they can help. Point to the nut and tell them that you need to have it removed. Hopefully they won't rush you out. If they don't, they'll probably walk you to a large tool chest, pull out a cool looking "special tool," mount your strut to a vice, and proceed to remove the nut with one swift motion.

All this time you can pick the grease out of your swollen knuckles -- because your pipe wrench didn't work. :-)

Yes, I'm speaking from experience. I couldn't get it out and my tire store friends couldn't do it, either.

They probably won't charge you (especially if they know you), because it will take less than 2-3 minutes to complete the task. Tell 'em you heard it here!

[m]