Painting Stainless Steel - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Painting Stainless Steel

Featured Replies

How do you paint on stainless steel? I heard its a bit tricky painting them as the paint tend not to stick on the surface.

Please advise

thanks

  • Author

etchant primer and then the paint?

cool thanks

whooooo, I said think, please read the instructions on the can first, just in case...........

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

guess....

my stock 240K grille, I just want o see how it looks cos I got another one anyway.

I was thinking taking the other stock grille to car body builders or something and ask them to cut the middle part.

I cant find the REAL GTR one... very frustrating...

  • Author

im not painting it straight away... still need 100% right answer

I was doing some research on that very same subject the other night. From what I could gleam from the various sites I checked out, it pretty much goes like the following:

1. Bead blast/sandblast item to be painted for good adhesion.

2. Prime with good 2 part epoxy primer (PPG, Dupont,...etc..etc) which ever name brand you prefer.

3. Paint item with paint color of your choice. (assuming same name brand products are used (I.E. - PPG, Dupont...etc...etc)

I've never heard anything about stainless not gripping primer at all. I think as long as its clean, just sand what you can and paint it. Take a look at all of the people who have painted DeLoreans....

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.