engine swap - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

engine swap

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

can I put the harmonic balancer from an L24 onto an L28?

thats it...

Matt-

  • Author

come on guys no one know the answer to this question? :ermm:

Now, I know what a harmonic balancer is...but does no one else think of a circus act involving bluegrass when they read it?

As for your question...you can do whatever you want, I'm just not sure it'll work right LOL

Matt, I'm going through that exact same issue for myself right now. I talked to a local Z-only mechanic and he said he'd recommend the 240 over the 280 as it was lighter. But I'm actually going to stick with the 280 because when I last had my 240 off, the channel for the key wasn't as pristine as I'd like. And if that pulley gets loose at speed, you can pretty much throw away the crank. In fact, that's how I got my E31 head. The PO had that happen just after he had rebuilt the head. He decided to scrap the whole motor and put another one it as that was cheaper. So his misfortune was my gain.

So I'd use the condition of the two pulleys to make my decision.

You want to use the same harmonic balancer or crankshaft pulley that the engine came with. Especially if you are not going to have the enging rebalanced. If you look at the pulley you will notice little holes drilled along the sides these were put there to balance the rotating assembly. If you mix and match parts from different engines you MUST have the entire rotating assembly balanced. Otherwise your looking at a time bomb.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

The harmonica balancer! Cmon now. No engine could run with out the harmonica.ROFL

yeah i know basically what it is ive changed one on a truck before.

but i dont know what it does

  • Author

ummmm ... it balances harmonics:stupid: LOL other than driving the altinator I don't really know what it does.

I am having in the rotating mass rebalanced, so i think ill use the 240 pully

bitch'n, Matt-

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.