IGNORED

240z side mirrors

AussieZguy

I'm interested in finding out what were the standard rear ('side' in American?) vision mirrors for the various years of the 240Z.

I have seen Australian 240Zs with metal mirrors on both the front quarter panels ('fenders' in American?) on some 70' and 71' 240Zs. I have also seen the same metal mirrors on the driver's side door and even on both doors on some 71's.

I noticed that most 72's come with plastic mirrors on the doors that are painted the body colour, whilst 73's seem to have similar pastic mirrors (I'm not sure if they are the same shape, they don't look to be) in black.

I have no idea what the story was in the U.S. but I'd be interested in and appreciative of any info anybody has on what the factory standards were for the various years and if anybody knows exactly when any changes were made (especially for Australian cars).

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

I just posed a simular question to my parts guy a few hours ago. He told me that the 240z's never had mirrors on the passenger side, in america. The mirror that 70-73 240z have are the squarish chrome mirrors. Then after 73 we got the plastic round mirrors.However, in europe and asia cars did get both mirror but they weren't made by Datsun but by some italian company. He also said that "Z" race cars in America got cool cast iron mirrors that are convex and extremly hard to come by.

I don't know how much of this is fact, because I just met the guy. If you want to speak to him directly about this subject let me know and I will give you his e-mail address. Sadly my Z only has one mirror. I would love to have the other mirror. If the Z's over there are right hand drive, do you think it would be possible for you to send me a stock chrome driver side mirror, that I could place on the passenger side of my car. send my an E-mail at bassplaynfool@yahoo.com if you think this could be a possibility.

-Madsoul

From all the picture I have seen of the 240Z one thing I have kept an eye on is the door mirrors. Here in Australia it is legal to register a 240Z for the road without a drivers door mirror as they came into Australia from the factory "clean skin" all the mirrors as far as I have been able to find out were dealer added option. This dealer option seems to have been cosistant most cars seem to have a mirror as follows:

crome mounting arm with a stainless steel backed mirror fitted. this mirror was about 58mm on the inside edge, 105mm along the top and bottom edge and about 80mm on the outer edge with all the corners rounded. the mirror surface was flat.

I have seen this mirror fitted on both sides of the car but normally only on the drivers door on HLS30 and HS30. This sujests it was a Datsun supplied part. I can not offer any information about the other types of mirror. Are they retro fitt ? I Do Not Know.

This is an interesting subject

cheers

Steve:classic:

I forgot ot attach a picture. this is one I found on a Japanese S30 site. I think it is probably an Australain car out of NSW or Victoria, great looking car, look at the mirror on the door that is the one I think is the most common.

Cheers

Steve:classic:

post-3005-14150792294468_thumb.jpg

I noticed on a website here in Aus that a bloke was flogging a couple of 240Z mirrors he said he picked in Japan in 1997. The for sale was date 1 October 2002 and you never know he may still have them. He mentions that they were optional extra from the catalog of the Z. He was based in Melbourne.

I have attached a picture of these

post-2906-14150792295227_thumb.jpeg

70 ~ 73 came with 1 divers side, door mounted mirror. As described, Chrome base, Stainless back, flattened oval. These were only sold as left (drivers) mirrors. I installed one as a right side mirror as well and it works (sort of). I needed to use a 3'' convex "stick on" mirror on the passenger side mirror for it to be any use.

Here's a photo of my car with both mirrors visable.

http://images.fotki.com/v2/photos/4/42214/120643/PB200060-or.jpg

This is a picture of my Australian 1973 Drivers side mirror. I beleive this was the original equipment mirror as spoken of earlier.

If someone in the US has a matching left side mirror lying around then let me know as I could be interested.

attachment.php?s=&postid=11547

There is some more talk about it over here at this thread:

http://www.240z.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2867&highlight=mirror

OzLime240Z