IGNORED

C110 'GT-R' Tail light operation

Alfadog

For future reference, here's a site outlining how the tail lights of a C210 work. This is exactly the same as the 'GT-R' style tail lights for our C110's.

http://www1.linkclub.or.jp/~ackn/any/tail/tail.html

(this is probably why the outer globes on my tail lights are dual filament. One for parkers, and one for tail lights. Both sets I have must have been modified so that all four rings light up on parkers - I'm not complaining!)

post-1243-14150793575061_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

hey Lachlan

how you doin'?

Friday afternoon I was going to put the GTR tail lights and the dual filaments are not working so opened it up and put new dual filaments then tried it and the inner red lights are very very very dim do you have any idea why its not lighting up 100% the rest of the lights are working fine, just the two inner ones.

tried changing bulbs and no luck.

Anyone have a clue?

Hi Rob

When I tried the lights out I thought they seemed fine. Did you look at them at daytime or night? They do appear pretty dull during the day... because remember when you depress the brake pedal they have to light up even more. At night they should appear fine, though.

post-1243-14150793704635_thumb.jpg

Hi Lachlan,

Does that rear finisher panel fit OVER the rear lights, or do those ribbed trims fit onto the lights after the finisher panel is fitted?

I'm wondering too if there are any common rear-end parts between the GT-R and the other models. The rear bumper looks the same as the higher-specs of non GT-R C110 models, but the rear finisher looks subtly different. Is it just the emblems and badging that was different?

Here's that red 110 GT-R that belongs to Nissan for comparison:

post-2116-14150793704831_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan

As far as I know the rear finisher is just the same, with different badging. The chrome looking plastic rings are attached to the tail light units (please see attached picture), and then the finisher just is placed in front of that. Like the S30, it all sortof falls apart once you take off a few vital screws and nuts.

From what I can tell in pictures, everything on the rear apart from the lights and badging is the same across models.

post-1243-14150793705097_thumb.jpg

Ah, I see.

Sometimes it looks to me as though the rear finisher would not fit over the outside ( larger ) rear light units.

I thought the trim-ring might fit over the edge of the finisher and help to hold it in place.

Now I understand.

Makes it a little bit easier to make a GT-R replica then? Apart from the cost of the lights and emblems that is.......:classic:

Cheers,

Alan T.

It does indeed Alan. A pity they don't make the "Skyline" badge for the rear finisher anymore though (not sure about the GT-R), so it's hard to find those badges!

Rob, alright, you mentioned before that the old tail lights weren't working. Can you test these lights to make sure the problem is in the new lights? Reason being when I tested them I was pretty sure they worked well. Also (you've probably done this already) you might want to check all the wiring and connections to make sure they're connected up properly.

Lachlan, yes the old bulbs were not working so bought 4 new dual filaments, can you check yours what power specs (w) you got for the bulbs, I dont think this will be the problem anyway as you can put higher rating to make it brighter anyway...

I checked the wiring and saw the join "Y" connection and they seem look pretty good join. If its not connected right then it wouldn't light up the first place right?

Would like to have those quarter panel skyline badges...

let me know any ideas

Rob, the bulbs in there definitely worked when I tested - I made sure to replace those which didnt... I'll check the power ratings of the bulbs when I get home today.

I was asking about the wiring because if it's a dodgy join then this might explain why they're only coming on very dimly. Seems that's not the problem though... which lights exactly are dim? On both sides?

What was the problem you were having with the old tail lights?

what do you mean old tail lights? or do you mean old bulbs?

well the bulbs didnt light up at all you can see closely that the filaments are broken, so I replaced them as the bulbs are inexpensive anyway.

My old tail lights broke.

If you tested it before and it was working fine then the joins should be OK, I checked it its a bit dodgy but OK