IGNORED

Thinking about Buying a 280z 1977

Koslov

Hi guys,

i'm new to these forums and in the Z's in general.

I'm 21 years old from Canada,Quebec.

I've been reading a lot this week on 240z/280z. Realy nice cars.

I've been browsing the net and I found a few Z for sale in my region.

One guy is selling a blue 1977 280z. He said it was imported from california 5 years ago. VIN# is HLS30370382

5 gear , but the 5th gear has a problem.

On reverse you need to "hold the shifter because it to go out"

Is it a "relatively" good daily driver?

I realy don't know what car to buy.

I have about 7000$cdn and I want something "classic" like the old Z maybe you guys could give me a few suggestions

PS: english isn't my main language

Great daily driver.

Check for rust!!!

- floor pans inside and out

- frame rails underneath

- under battery area

- hatch back latch area

- rocker panels

Make sure frame is straight

- bondo in body indiactes accident

- check tire wear, brand new tires maybe a 'cover-up' trick

- one tire wearing badly=bent frame

Have a compression check done

- has engine been modified/repaired? by whom?

A transmission rebuild and clutch replacement isn't a big deal

- C$1000

Make sure you have it rust proofed with the drippy oil stuff each year eg. Krown, Rustcheck etc.

Check door closure for sagging hinges

Is dash cracked? caps are cheap, replacement dash=C$1250

Most parts are available thru Nissan, Victoria British, Motorsport auto

How is cold start? EFI may need work if rough

Good luck, post how it goes

I have a 1978 280Z that I purchased in 1997. It passed smog with no adjustments in 97, 99, 01, and 03. I put the VIN you listed in the BAR database and nothing came up. If it was truly a California car, something would come up that database. I don't know what that means but I would check in to that 'California' assertion as well as checking all of the things that dga suggested.

Kosov,

As mentioned here by others, rust is the main concern with any Z.

If you possibly can, get someone that owns a Z to look it over for you (I'm in Ottawa, if thats anywhere close to you). They will know all the places that rust tries to hide in Z's. If you have to do extensive body work, you will go through your $7K real fast if you're not doing it yourself.

You didn't mention what the asking price is, but it would have to be damn near perfect to fetch $7K.

Also, don't consider it if you intend to drive it in winter. With the amount of road salt we use up here it will dissolve before your very eyes:finger: .

On the other hand, dollar for dollar you can't find a better, more enjoyable sports car anywhere. And if you do buy one, you can't find a better site for help and information about Zs than this one.

:love: :love:

Cheers,

Peter

$3800 isn't a bad price at all if the car is in good shape. Parts aren't the killer here as you can pretty much swap from 1970 through 1983, though later is better. And there is a reasonable supply of donor cars available (more so in the US).

So the thing to watch out for, as previously mentioned, is rust. You don't want to spend big bucks making the body solid enough for the road.

Cheers,

Peter