71 240z Rust Question - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

71 240z Rust Question

Featured Replies

I have a 1971 240z that my dad bought coming back from Vietnam. The car ran until 1989 or so and has sat in a garage (or two) since then. Extensive body work was performed back in 1984 to address body rust and a new paint job was applied. Certain areas were not addressed (like the the floor boards) and the car needs some body work.

However, when looking over the car (after bringing it down to my garage) there appears to be some serious looking rust in the front-right wheel well. Can anyone here tell me how serious the problem is and the $$ figure facing me if I attempt to get this fixed? I can provide more photos if necessary.

post-1059-14150793366558_thumb.jpg

Phew...yeah thats a common area to say the least. Your first real task is to get a screwdriver, hammer and a scraper....remove the wheel, sit down....and now the fun begins. Since that area is all tied together, (passenger footwell/firewall, frame rail cradle, and tension compression rod support) you need to get poking around in there to see just how bad the rust is and what good metal is left. thats going to tell you what you have to work with.

I have to ask....are you able to do any of the work yourself? Taking this to be done at a shop is not going to be cheap, that I can gurantee. I unfortunately have faced the same repair in the past.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.